Boyfriend broke up with me because he doesn't want to try long distance, but is now making it sound like he wants me to wait for him?

Anonymous
My boyfriend broke up with me because he is moving away to finish school and a long distance relationship would be an unrealistic thing for us to successfully maintain due to the both of our busy schedules. I work full time and he is going to school full time while also working. I wanted to try a long distance relationship, but he didn’t think it would work out well because he is absolutely horrible with keeping in contact with people (we have actually had a few arguments about it in the past). Our split was amicable and we both have agreed to stay as friends. He and I continued to hang out platonically up until his move. He’s not the most vocal person with his feelings, so we never talked about our situation until the day before his departure. I wanted to gain closure so that we can truly begin a genuine friendship, but now I’m confused as to what he wants. When I told him that I still had some of his belongings, he told me to keep them because I “never know” which made me confused. We expressed that our feelings for each other are still strong and that it has hurt for the both of us, but we know it’s for the better because the timing is wrong. He also told me that if I find another person, they better be fucking amazing, but later on in the night told me multiple times that what we had “is not over” and now I do not know how I’m supposed to feel about this.
0
3