Ex Boyfriend contacted me after two months. Not sure what he wants or what is the right thing to do?

Anonymous
All he said was "Hope you're well" and a thumbs up and smiley face.

He's 32 and he said his life was a mess and being with me is unfair for me and hard for him to cope with everything. What he says is true. He couldn't even meet me to break up face to face because he said seeing me hurt would upset him and haunt him.

He never saved any money, had any drive, but I felt so close to him. He wouldn't meet my family because he was scared he's not good enough. He met my friends. 2 months of no contact & he's reaching out again. I waited so long for this, but I don't know if he's just seeking attention, or actually misses me.

I've been trying so hard to get over him. I had a rebound thing really early on, but it was a one time thing, which made me feel worse.
2
2