Is it a break where we just need space or over forever?

Anonymous
We have been in each other's lives every single day for nearly three years, close friends for three years, dating for the rest. He loved me from the day he met me (only told me after a year) We had a period where we fell out as friends and he came back apologising 4 months later saying he's missed me.

Something went wrong at the end, we were never official & that was fine, but he started to get stressed, he wanted to go to college but his parents are sick so he has to work constantly to pay the bills, he hardly had time for friends, I would push him to talk to me about it but he is very reserved. He pulled away the harder I tried. He got paranoid I would cheat on him, leave him or not love him forever (ex's cheated on him or ditched him after years) & he said that's why he's pushing me away so it hurts less, we had known each other for years so I didn't understand. We just started arguing more over this stuff.

I know it all sounds so bad, but we spoke every day for years, perfectly OK, until all of this stress started happening & we fell apart. I'm only saying the negatives because I am hurt, not about how happy we made each other, how we could speak constantly for 12 hours on end, we were best friends or how hard he worked to get me. We still told each other that we love each other, we only want each other & we are not looking for anybody else, it's just a bad time right now & that if he lost me forever it would destroy him. I argued and begged to be friends during this, he said no but that he won't delete my number so we can talk again one day & that he needs to focus on himself, he can't be in a relationship in this state & that I love the old him not who he is now. He then wrote a poem about me (has our memories) about me being his weakness & he can't be without me & posted it to all his friends and family.

Is this a break? We are currently 2 weeks into no contact. I think we do need this as it's healthy to have space. Please be polite in your responses!
1
1