When to let go of trying to be friends with an ex that shows no effort?

Anonymous
About 4 months ago in March my ex boyfriend decided to end things because he felt a distance between us and he didn't believe I was right for him. We almost broke up 2 months earlier in Decemeber, but I fought to stay with him because I honestly wanted to be with him. Instead of working on things he wanted to take the easy way out, breaking up.

Anyways, when he ended things he stated he wanted to remain friends and build a friendship. We hung out a couple of times and every time it was awkward between us. I admit, I have some resentment just because I feel as though he gave up too easily in the relationship. I try to be a good friend and keep in touch, but I feel as though I'm the only one making an effort. He never texts or calls and the only conversation we have is if I initiate at. I've given multiple hints that if he doesn't try to make an effort, then I don't think I can continue to be friends with someone who seems to not care.

Should I just forget wanting to be friends when the effort isn't being reciprocated or do I keep trying? I just think it's better to move on and if he really wants to build a friendship he'll make a conscious effort.
1
3