Did he just ask me to marry him?

Anonymous
I was talking with my boyfriend yesterday and I announced him that I have to do a 1 year and half internship in a foreign country (haven't selected where yet). He is from South America and he is gonna graduate during the time I'm gone (I actually counted and he will still be here when I come back) so he will/might be gone home by then. Yesterday, it was the first time in our month and a half of dating (I know, pretty short) that we had a serious conversation about future plans, like marriage. He asked me first if I loved him (I kinda panicked because "love" is a big word) and then if I wanted to stay with him "forever". I replied that I did. He asked me these 2 questions at least 3 or 4 times. I replied positively to each of them. At one point, he said "but you're leaving". There, I got confused. Yes, I'm leaving but I will be back before he leaves for home and then I'll be able to stay with him. I'm kind of confused about all of that. First, because it's quite early in our relationship to talk about such serious plans (even though we both want the same thing); second, I am not leaving on an internship forever and I will be back. It seems like he sees this as too big of an obstacle to stay with me on the long term.
We weren't able to finish our conversation because my roommates were there and it wasn't really the right moment to talk about that.
What do you guys think?
Did he just ask me to marry him?
3
2