Guys, he broke up with me out of the blue, please help me understand it all?

Thisgirlasksguys
My boyfriend out of the blue broke up with me, so I called him for an explanation and he said he's been going through a tough time and doesn't know where his head is at. He told me he lost two people close to him a couple days ago (which he never told me) so he's mourning. He also said he needs space and doesn't feel he can be in a relationship. Of course I was extremely upset because everything we had has been thrown away and knowing I can't be that way with him makes my heart ache.

We both cried on the phone and he told me how much he loves me, that he's sorry and will always be there for me. I just can't understand why he's willing to give it up when everything was great.

we ended on good terms. even in the middle of braking up on the phone I still supported him of his loss, and no bad words were said. After I ended the call upset he text me saying he loves me to the bottom of his heart.
I tried to act okay but really I'm killing inside.
2
2