Should I leave him?

I have been having trouble with my partner for over a year now.. There's been so many broken promises, his been possessive and controlling and over all I feel I've fallen out of love with him. I've tried to leave him in the past but his BEGGED me to stay. I want to stay and reconcile but after 3 years of ups and downs I feel I'm better off single. I can't hurt him though, what should I do?

25

Most Helpful Guy

• sorry for what you've been through.
    you won't be a different happy person if you keep that kinda person and that relationship in your life. you keep failing cuz you don't give yourself enough right choices for leaving.
    leaving is the best option to know the value of yourself and to start appreciating your feelings in the first place.

just don't believe everything you hear and believe half of what you see.. now this relationship become as a mirage... which mean you won't reach it.
    make your happiness more important than him and go out to enjoy life... cuz the only person who can make things right is (you).

Good luck...

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE

Most Helpful Girl

• Possessive and controlling partners are NOT good news. It may only get worse over time, and who knows what kind of behaviors he may develop (more then just verbal abuse). I know it's more complicated then someone on GAG saying just leave, because I'm sure you love him, but it sounds to me like your best choice would be to leave. Just because you love someone, it doesn't mean they are healthy for you or that you should be with them. No one deserves to be treated the way you are being treated, and if you are experiencing "red flags" now, who knows what he will do the future.

Take this from someone who has been in a similar situation. There are better fish in the sea. The person I am with now is the complete opposite of my jealous and controlling partner I had. He's great, and if I had stuck around and just accepted that partners behavior, I would never have met my perfect match.

If you can leave you should, but don't beat on yourself if it's more challenging then it looks. It always is when emotions are involved. Good luck!

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE
    • Thanks for sharing! It is making me feel less guilty about these thoughts!

• I forgot to mention the fact we have a 1yo son together. This obviously made me stay longer and is a massive pull for me to stay..

• That definitely complicates things. That makes my empathy for you even deeper. I'm sorry. I hope you don't feel like by saying what I said that I was judging you. I most certainly am not. I just don't like to see anyone, male or female, struggle in an unfair relationship, so I am going to encourage any person in that situation to get out. My therapist once told me that controlling and abusive partners tend to go after kind and caring women because that way they are receiving love and they don't have to give back. Obviously you still care about this man, or you would not still be there. Your child is lucky to have a mom that cares so much.