Was this a cold way to end a (VERY brief) engagement?

He travels a lot and text is the best way to keep in touch. I figured texting now was better than dragging it out. This is what I wrote:

m. imgur. com/l76o4S6

m. imgur. com/r17b13D

I'm dreading his response. Was this too curt? I don't know how else I could have phrased it.. :/
If I waited to say it face to face I would have had to wait until next month because he is filming in LA until then.

We were supposed to get married in the beginning of October so I felt breaking it off two weeks prior would have been colder.
To clarify, this was all very rushed. He asked me on a whim, I said yes on a whim, he bought a ring, and said lets get married in Vegas.

We went in half cocked. Not to mention he was MUCH older

918

Most Helpful Guy

• I think calling him would have been a better option. Ideal would have been face to face, but I can understand how that wasn't option. Calling him at least makes it as close to face to face as one can really get (without facetiming or skyping, but that may be kinda weird).

I think that, on the whole, breaking off the engagement was a good idea, so in the long run it is a good idea. The entire engagement was pretty shakey at it's foundation. In the short run though, the methedology was a bit cold. It was a well-written text message, I just think calling would have been best. It may have give him more closure and have him move on faster.

Heck, he may still want to call about it-- or at least, I imagine that'd be my response in his situation.

• Read a comment saying he said only to text while he is filming. I change my opinion on the matter. Since he was the one who set the communication kinda terms here, I'm inclined to say that, while texting is kinda cold, it makes sense given the circumstances. I think it was the best option of the worst.

Most Helpful Girl

• Could you not have dialed his number and said all this. That's pretty cold to do it on text and I hear what you're saying about in person but that was probably the least personal way to end an engagement.
    You have to do what's right for you but wow. Ouch.

• If I dialed I would have gotten his voicemail. He is impossible to get ahold of when he's filming.

Text is how we communicate. It's how he prefers I communicate with him.

• It happens. While I do think it was cold for you to do it over text, from the sounds of it you had little choice. I think you could have pushed to talk to him BUT Id guess once you made your choice you just wanted to pull the band aid off and be done vs sitting around waiting for the call from him. I can understand that. And I can understand you trying to remove your feelings from the situation, and being cold.
      I still can't say that I can agree with how you did it But i think I do understand why you did it the way you did. For whatever that's worth.
      Good luck kid. 😉

• Well he's so hard to talk to over the phone. He's a million words a minute so it's hard to ever get my word in. But I know I handled the whole thing wrong. Thank you for your opinion tho <3