I'm terrified I will never stop loving my ex?

Anonymous
We broke up years ago, but he was VERY intense and romantic in his feelings. It was the most passionate relationship I've ever had, when I looked at him my entire body would tingle, and he'd say things to me that I will never forget. We broke up for good reasons, he was very unstable and untrustworthy, but for a year after I broke up with him, he messages me probably 100 times, again saying beautiful things, attempting to just have me talk to him or even reply to be his friend. I pretended I didn't care, because I'm really scared and I'm still in love with him, and I know my self respect is too strong for me to date him again. I'm stuck because he follows me everywhere - I haven't heard from him in months and I look for him everywhere, his car, I flinch when I hear his name, my heart feels like it's going to explode half the time I see someone who looks like him, I constantly search to see if maybe he messaged me again.

I don't know what to do. I want to reach out, because 90% of the time I PRAY that I will hear form him again or bump into him somewhere in public. Should I add him on facebook? message him and just check in? I don't know what to do.
4
3