Broke up with the woman I thought I would marry almost a month ago. Sleeping at most three hours per night ever since. Is this normal?

I've had nights where I'd dream that she and I talked at length and worked things out, only to realize it was a dream after I woke up. I don't dare contact her because she's in an extremely difficult situation, refuses my help, and only gets upset now when we try to talk. Won't get into it, but she got a bunch of things in her head about me that aren't exactly accurate. Maybe it's easy to take out the frustrations on me, I can't exactly defend myself from over a thousand miles away.

Having a drink before bed is the only thing I've found that keeps the dreams at bay but I don't want to start acting the alcoholic so I don't let myself do that. My performance at work is suffering, it's hard to give a damn about anything anymore. She was my life.
  • Drink and sleep
  • Don't drink, don't sleep
  • Ask a bunch of strangers on the internet for advice
    Vote C

73

Most Helpful Girl

• Well she's accusing you or making up scenarios of you that aren't accurate? So she doesn't trust you (in general). The more you try to fix it the more she gets upset about it.

So in a way it's a headache. If she doesn't want to work it out and talk about it like two rational adults then that's her problem not yours.

No drinking. Try going to gym (if you already don't), listen to some music, read a book, just focus on other things. Easier said then done yeah I know, but it's a habit you need to get out of

• A lot of contradictory stuff I'm still trying to wrap my head around. Accused me of only caring about money - I bought her something she needed for the asking the day after she broke up with me, offered to wire her money to get through a tough spot (an offer she refused not wanting to be seen as using me), and she came back a week later accusing me of this. I was trying to figure out long term expenses for us - fiance visas and international airline tickets are not cheap. Turns out she was in a situation so bad she didn't know how she was going to afford food. Things are less than stable where she's living right now. I went and visited her this summer, everything went to hell there hours after I left.

Things seemed fine between us during my visit, then she broke up with me a week later citing old problems she never talked to me about. I wanted to be supportive. We haven't talked in over two weeks because I saw our continued contact was only upsetting her.

• Maybe she is trying to use you but she realised it's bad and has gotten herself into a mess.

No one would break up with anyone and not talk about the issue first. That seems irrational. Maybe it's just an excuse to what is really the issue. It seems like she has personal issues

• Like I said, things went to hell where she is. Violently so. I was on the phone with her while she was holed up in an apartment and jets were going by overhead. Things calmed down again, her focus shifted to legal headbutting over permission to work. I wanted to find ways to be supportive despite the distance between us, she pushed me away and refused my help.

Like I said, complicated.

Most Helpful Guy

• I can understand and I think it's normal but then resorting to alcohol is not at all solution to handle this. You are doing any good to your health by following this way. Learn to accept the situation and try to move on.