At the end of a long-term relationship, how long is a good time to wait before you start dating again?

I have, frankly, been a bit of a train wreck since she left me. I started drinking for the first time because it's the only way I've found to keep myself from dreaming at night. The dreams wake me up, and keep me from sleeping more than maybe three hours. I thought I was going to marry this woman. Spent too long walking a tightrope between her and my religious xenophobic family, hoping in vain to lay the foundation for a good relationship between her and them. I'd give anything to go back, shake myself, and tell me to go with her when it could have made a difference.

I'm clearly not ready to step into another relationship yet. Just wondering about others' experiences.

93

Most Helpful Girl

• I was exactly in your position about two years ago. Got myself in a 6 year relationship with a man whom I thought was the one for me. Obviously, it did not work out and we broke up. It broke me apart but time heals all wounds. And even though it feels beyond impossible to get over it- you will get through. Sometimes we are stronger than we realize. Just make sure you surround yourself with positivity and improve yourself in the process. Keep yourself active and busy enough to not think about it. It is understandable to turn to alcohol- but it's not the wisest of choice.

If you ever need a friend to listen or vent, I gotchu.

Most Helpful Guy

• It takes time to mourn a lost relationship. How long is totally based on each person. Some do what it takes to move on and some dwell in it. Your dreams wil subside when you have done the work to move past this. After a while, I started to see other women even though I didn't feel like it. I didn't compare these women to my lost love. That is never a good thing. The dating helped take my mind off my loss and give me a chance to be happy again. I've met a new lady that really help in that area. I will never forget my love for the girl I broke up with, but it's now something that doesn't bother me anymore. I now remember the good and don't think about the bad. You will be okay. While you are still having problems with sleep, have your doctor give you something to help you until you don't need it anymore. Drinking too much is never a good thing. I hope you get past this sooner than later.