Should we stay friends after being dumped?

My ex boyfriend and I used to fight almost all the time because he's emotionally unavailable and would never let me get close to him or make me feel like he really cares about me, so he dumped me two weeks ago after a big fight and insisted on staying friends because he doesn't want to lose me.
I still love him and I want to stay in contact with him because I hope he would take me back, but I'm also scared of finding out that he wanted to stay friends for some reason other than getting back together.
So what do you guys think I should do?

20