Is it wrong to feel upset about a breakup if you were the one doing the breaking up?

I just ended a relationship, and I was the one who broke things off. I'm not regretting the break up, but I am really upset it had to end and that it ended the way it did. Is that selfish of me; to be upset about a break up even though I'm the one that ended it?

74

Most Helpful Guy

• The answer is both YES and NO.

However it would also depend on the reason as to why you initiated the break up. I mean if you did it because the guy was abusive, judgmental, inconsiderate towards you then in this case it would be NO, you won't feel bad, upset because you chose to break up.

If you initiated the break up despite the guy being almost ideal, nice, very understanding and supportive then probably you would have done it because you were falling out of love with him or maybe because he is just too nice and a guy without a backbone (psychological sense).

In the second case I would you would be a little selfish to break up but then it's not wrong because eventually your own happiness is what counts and no matter what the reasons may have been, no matter what kind of a guy he is if you are not happy then there is nothing wrong if you initiated the break up.

Hence in the second case you will most likely feel very upset because you initiated the break up. Hence it depends on the situation and the type of guy he was whom you broke you with.

Most Helpful Girl

• After a breakup you feel a sense of loss, even if you're the one ending it. You have been so used to him being part of your life , but now he's not. So now you a not together you have to rebuild your life, and look to a future without him being part of it anymore. That can have a huge impact on your life because you feel an empty space in your life

Even people who've came out of an unhappy abusive relationship can feel sad when it finally ends. No one wants a relationship to fail. Some people also feel a sense of failure too, because they couldnt make the relationship last

It's a new start in your life , and that can be a daunting thought, but in time you'll feel a lot better about the breakup. Just be patient with yourself