How can you just lie to someone's face like this?

Sort of got back together with my ex after a year and a half. We had both been single for the whole time, and I was miserable missing him. We saw each other four times and he told me he loved me every single time.

Then he messaged me saying we shouldn't continue, that he doesn't want to hurt me again.

Now I'm back in misery, wondering if this is some kind of mind game, if he does still love me, or if this is possible to lie to someone's face like that FIVE TIMES in TWO WEEKS... someone he knows is so not over him. What's your opinion?

11