Guys, Can guys be friends with their ex's?

Is it possible for a guy to hangout with his ex without having any kind of feelings towards them?

24

Most Helpful Guy

• In most cases, NO! And the expectation should ALWAYS be that once the romantic relationship is over, that the entire relationship is going to be over.

Yes, there are occasional exceptions to this rule - there ARE a relatively few people who can handle it - but as they are exceptions, this should never be the expectation or the assumption. Assume that once you break up, that you'll never talk or hang out again - and that's what is USUALLY going to happen.

What Guys Said 23

• "Is it possible for a guy to hangout with his ex without having any kind of feelings towards them?"

No. I still have "feelings" for all of my exes, that will never go away.

I may never act on those feelings, because I know shit isn't going to work, but those feelings are still there, lurking in the background.

• Depends on if they were friends first or developed a real long-term friendship, then time passes. But generally speaking, no. You may not want them back and you may be happy for them. But that sexual energy is always there. Even if all you want is friendship. You'll never be "just" friends. But you can be friends yes.

• I don't trust people who are still "friends" with their exes. If I was friends with my exes, my life would be in shattered ruins as far as I am concerned.

• No guys dont want there x to find another guy because she's just going to talk about him all the time and seek advice. Who wants to run into there x and the new boyfriend? It just doesn't work.

• Then why is one of my exes make the most to be around me and always makes the effort to talk to me?

• He's still in the country, I just hung out with him yesterday. He keeps hanging around me, and sometimes I get upset cause I still have feelings for him.

• The whole thing is weird. Just do what's best for you, but you deserve a stable man

• Totally. My former fiancĂ©e is now one of my best friends. There is no chance of it crossing the line. It needs both parties to be over it and mature about it.

• For me, of course. If a girlfriend can be considered a friend, the frienship can be kept although we are not in love.

• First explain to me how this is a realistic idea to you. Then tell me why should a guy do that? And by the way, why should YOU do that?

• Something is fishy about that - it's practically a given that there's something off about that.

• We recently broke up, and he's always around. He would sometimes ask to hang out. Lately he's been telling me about a girl he met that he really likes.. so I don't know whats up with that.

• Well perhaps he wants to be friends. But he may keep you around as plan B or at least as a quick fuck.

• He knows I'm a virgin.. so no quick fuck for him

• It possible, depends on what ended the realationship. It can work if you were meant to be frirends.

• Yes but usually if ex's are friends there will be lingering feelings with at least one of them

• Some guys may be able to but I am not. Once a woman is my ex. She gets cut off from me.

• Never stay friends with exes. Exes are exes for a reason.

• It's possible absolutely.
    Doesn;t mean that's what is happening.

• In my case I prefer not to see her. It's true that time solves things, and with time you can take another perspective and it doesn't hurt me to see her (I've only had one girlfriend, in singular, so I'm learning to deal with this situation)... Ok, but I think that there are lots of girls to know who could be friends and even a love. So, keeping in contact with my ex is like losing time, we tried it, and it didn't function, so I don't have interest to date her. I don't wish bad things to her, I also remember the positive things of the past, but better away. A goodbye is a goodbye, and I think it's better like this, to have the brain free from the ghost of the exgirlfriend, so then it's fair to have another girlfriend.

• Yes and no

• It is. I am friends with most of my exes.

• Usually not, in my experience.

• I don't really believe on that...

• No :) Never

• For most, it's not. I would say yes, because all the aspects that make them a good SO will make them a good friend too. But this really all has to do with maturity. If either the guy or gal is immature then it isn't going to work.

• More from Guys
    3