Ever had a long term ex you just can't get over?

Anonymous
I know GAG is full of sorry sob stories about break ups. I've had a few of my own, but the one that hurt the most was the girl who I considered marrying 2.5 years ago. I never told her that, but for a long time she was deeply in love me and I know she would have said yes if I popped the question. Unfortunately I was also going through a tough time in my professional life at the time. I hold myself to a very high bar, but my job situation impacted my confidence and I started taking my frustrations out on her. It was no surprise when she broke it off.

Fast forward 2.5 years. I have more than doubled my salary, have an awesome job, have a new girlfriend (prettier) and just bought my first home. My new girlfriend is very young and I only see her 2-3 weeks out of every 2 months due to my work schedule. She is still in college and very studious (pre med). The time apart keeps things fresh, but its not too long to cause problems. However to be realistic I doubt we will get serious anytime soon. Given our age differences (cultural difference as well... she's a immigrant) we really don't have deep conversations. Everything is about teasing, fun and sex. It's light hearted, drama free and easy.

The problem with me ex wasn't the fact she split it off, it was HOW she did it. For the longest time she was like a best friend. Then she treated me like pond scum and showed zero consideration after I discovered I had serious health issue (gotten better since then). I talked to her on the phone about 8 months ago, but it was like talking to a robot. I don't want to get back with her, I just want closure. However I doubt I will ever get it.

Anyway I want to be fair to my new girlfriend (she has no idea about this... and I have no plans to tell her) and myself. I was doing very well for a while. However after I bought my first home memories of my ex slammed into me out of nowhere. I have become the man I wanted to be 2.5 years ago. However she's not there to see it.
1
1