It's clear he's lost interest - why won't he let me walk away?

My apologies for the long post, will do my best to keep it brief.

We've been hanging out / hooking up for almost a year. Never "official" but we got very close (involved in each others lives, staying together every night, etc.), so when I caught feelings I was clear with him about it, and he said he had feelings back. But he got wishy-washy as things continued - would say he had feelings for me until I got too close, then tell me he just sees me as friends with benefits and nothing more, then if I pull back he'll say he has feelings again.

I felt that he was taking advantage of my emotions to get what he wanted from me (not just sex - I would take him to sports games, do favors, bend over backwards to try to make him happy), so I stopped offering all the "extras" and backed off. He stopped trying at that point, which only made me feel more taken advantage of, and after a couple months of seeing each other once every week or two, and no communication in-between, I'm trying to end it, unsuccessfully.

This guy has women chasing him and does not need me for sex. I'm 90% sure he's seeing someone else now. So when I tried to end it, I didn't think I would get much push-back. But all of a sudden he appreciates me, he knows he messed up, he wants to prove how much he wants me in his life. He swears there's nobody else. But despite saying all this his actions still say otherwise, he hasn't actually proved anything to me besides that I'm most likely his side chick. But every time I try to say "I'm not happy, I want out" he tries to find some patch to fix it without addressing the actual problem - that he's very obviously lost interest.

So why won't he just admit this and move on? He isn't getting anything from me anymore, and I know he can get laid every day of the week without me. But it's like he's clinging on to me just to keep me on his back burner. I don't have the heart to block his number and pretend he never existed, but is there any other way to get out of this? Please help!

20