What are your thoughts on this heartfelt letter to ex that I will (probably) never send?

fallenhero22
I was in love with a girl and we had our first big fight and broke up. We were together 11 months and had said I love you to each other often and talked about our future in the last month.

"I am sorry to write to you. I suspect you wish that I would not. Despite this, I hope that you will do me one last favor and read it for me.

It has been so heartbreaking to lose you. The past few months have been some of the most difficult in my life. I want you to know that there is not a single day that goes by that I do not regret the way I behaved the night we fought. It may not have seemed like it during or after that night, but I deeply and genuinely loved and appreciated everything about you. I have no doubt in my mind that I am the biggest idiot in the world for treating you that way. The way things were going and the times we talked about the future made me think we were going to spend the rest of our lives together. I ruined it all. I need to accept that hard truth.

I am working on making changes to myself because I see them as important for who I want to be. I do not want to yell anymore or let my emotions get the better of me, including when I am hurt or upset. My parents would yell when they fought. I never thought of it as anything other than normal. After a lot of thinking, I realized it is not normal and not the way to treat someone you love.

I also want to be a better listener. My inability to focus and lapses in judgment portrayed me as someone who did not care. On the contrary, you were by far the most important thing in my life during our time together. I will really need to improve on this important skill.

They say if you truly love someone then you should let them go. I want nothing but the best for you and for you to be happy. If not being with me is what makes you happy then thatโ€™s what I want for you.

I absolutely respect all of your decisions and respect that you are moving on. Please do not feel obligated to respond or acknowledge this letter."
1
0