He's not the man I thought he was, and it's scary. I know what I need to do, but not how?

I met him at a college rodeo. He was really charming and funny. We exchanged numbers and talked for months. We lived four hours away and eventually he would come see me on the weekends. I never took trips to go visit him because I was a broke college girl who had classes 6 days a week. But now that I've graduated, living just 45 minutes away, I am able to go down to see him.
Nope. He won't allow it. I'm realizing nothing he has told me about himself is true.
He's told me he's a horse trainer, primarily with BLM Mustangs yet he refuses to go riding with me on my beginner-safe horse.
I try chatting about horse training- he doesn't even understand basic horse jargon.
He's reluctant to hang out with my family and refuses to go with me if I meet up with my friends. I want to meet his parents, but there is never a good time. He's tried talking me into dumping my friends. "I don't think you need to hang out with her." "I don't like you associating with them." My friends are 4-H community volunteers; not like I'm running with a wild crowd.
He tried to talk me into dropping out of school, claiming it was a waste of time.
But to make matters worse, his character has changed. His temper is worse. He's adamant about carrying his gun. I'm not bothered by the gun itself, since I was raised with people who carry, but his paranoia and temper. About every time someone walks passed our car in a parking lot, or someone knocks on the front door, the gun is drawn.
I don't think it's right to break up a long term relationship through text, but he refuses to answer his phone, and I'm too intimidated by him to do it in person. He seems like a different man since I am out of school. He's not the guy I thought he was. If anyone, girl or guy, has had some kind of similar relationship, I'd like to hear some advice or input. I feel like an idiot for staying with someone this long, but it really did go well when I was in school. I didn't have much of a reason to break it off then.

21