Getting back your ex although you slept together? and how to tell him you want more again?

Has anyone ever broken up with their ex and somehow gotten back together although the 2 of you slept together after the bu? or how did you do it? I am in a confusing situation. We broke up awhile ago but he was the first to contact. We slept together for a few months although it killed me to not be official. He changed his mind and said we should stop. He said it was not fair to either of us to continue with this. This went back and forth with everytime we did something he would tell me that the next day. Lets say this happened 3 times and then now he has nont said that. I still want him back and feel like there is still something but dont know how to approach this. I feel like he gave up too soon on something that before we broke up was great. He was saying how amazing i was etc. We got along great so I don't know. I feel like he got strong feelings too quick and got scared to possibly. How do i tell him i still want a relationship? I have been wanting to say it for awhile but everytime i just chicken out.

12