How do I talk to my ex when we were together we talked about everything?

How do I talk to my ex. We used to have good conversations when we were together. I still very much love him and hope maybe one day to be back together. We broke up in April something I did not see happening. Since then we have been having sex. Its not my ideal situation with him bc i want us back. In August he started saying that we should not being doing this anymore as it was not fair to either of us. He went back and forth with this a few times over the next month or 2. So at this point I don't know what it is or how he feels he hasn't said it for a bit. During the relationship we have had good conversations we talked a lot and now sometimes I feel awakward because i was so used to telling him everything and now Its just weird. I obviously still feel something is still there but sometimes its just awkward because i want to do more than what we are.

01