Why does my ex constantly go back and forth with the idea of us not doing stuff anymore?

Anonymous
We broke up months ago but I always thought that maybe one day we would get back together. When the breakup happened he initiated contact with me. I was iffy with everything. We wound up having sex and have been having it for sometime since the breakup has happened. We went over this a few times as he said in August that we should not do that anymore. He said it was not fair to either of us. Well I couldnt do much about it, but it didn't last long and we had sex again. After some time again he had said that saying we should just be freinds without anything else. I thought to myself wth is going on. One again it happened and he said it one last time that we should not do any of that anymore as it was not fair and he knew it seemed like he was going back and forth with that idea but still thought the same. That was I want to say at the beginning of October. Since then he has not said it until tonight. I asked him to hang and watch a movie. This week it seemed like he was distant with the texts and such and after me asking him tonight he said that he honestly thinks we should jiust stay friends without anything else and that it is not the best idea for any of us. Why is he constantly going back and forth with this idea? I know after sometime its going to be the same thing. Why? Is he still thinking of us or how does he feel? it seems like he doesn't know what he wants. I want to tell him my feelings still and that i want us again but i know it prob won't go great, what should i do? Speak up or agree with him etc? I just want to know why he keeps acting like this?
2
1