What do you guys think of people who ask for gifts back?

So this guy I had been seeing broke it off because he said he wanted to keep his options open. He had only given me a shirt and a ps4 game which was fine as I dont really care about gifts. l returned the shirt but kept the game cause it was a gift and I play ps4. The shirt I wasn't gonna use cause it was his. He texted me the other night and asked me for the game back. He told me to text him when I wanted him to swing by to pick it up. I chose not to respond as I found it kinda insulting for him to ask for it back and I do like the game...

What do you guys think?

43

Most Helpful Guy

• Wow, what a baby! That is all it is. He is an immature baby. Gifts are a funny thing. If you have something, like that game, every time you play it or even look at it, it will remind you of him. That is possibility going to churn up bad feelings, sour memories. So why keep something like that since it is linked to something negative? A game is no big deal, fights usually happen over rather expensive gifts like jewelry. But the same argument goes for him too! Why would he want to take it back? It is linked to a failed relationship and that same negativity. Ultimately, he gifted it to you, so it now belongs to you anyway, and he has no legal right to ask for it back!

My sister and one of her ex's got into a big fight right in the middle of our foyer when we where all in highschool. He came right to the door and demanded his necklace back that he gave her for Christmas or birthday months prior. She did not want to give it back. I always thought he was a complete tool and fuck head to ask for it back, but at the same time, I could not believe my sister actually wanted to keep it knowing HE gave it to her and he was a dick head! She did give it back because it got to the point it would have taken the police to get ride of him. (dick head!)

• It doesn't remind me of him lol. Its just a fun game. Its funny cause he was trying to get me to keep the shirt... he's so grr

• Cool, if you can disconnect the item from the person who gave it to you, then keep it for sure!!!

Most Helpful Girl

• It would put me off if that makes sense
    Gift is a gift/ once it's given, you don't take it back.

If I were I would give it back either way, just because I don't like the idea of keeping things from ex.

but yeah, it sounds kinda weird of him to ask for it back