What do you guys think of people who ask for gifts back?

So this guy I had been seeing broke it off because he said he wanted to keep his options open. He had only given me a shirt and a ps4 game which was fine as I dont really care about gifts. l returned the shirt but kept the game cause it was a gift and I play ps4. The shirt I wasn't gonna use cause it was his. He texted me the other night and asked me for the game back. He told me to text him when I wanted him to swing by to pick it up. I chose not to respond as I found it kinda insulting for him to ask for it back and I do like the game...

What do you guys think?

0|1

Most Helpful Guy

• Wow, what a baby! That is all it is. He is an immature baby. Gifts are a funny thing. If you have something, like that game, every time you play it or even look at it, it will remind you of him. That is possibility going to churn up bad feelings, sour memories. So why keep something like that since it is linked to something negative? A game is no big deal, fights usually happen over rather expensive gifts like jewelry. But the same argument goes for him too! Why would he want to take it back? It is linked to a failed relationship and that same negativity. Ultimately, he gifted it to you, so it now belongs to you anyway, and he has no legal right to ask for it back!

My sister and one of her ex's got into a big fight right in the middle of our foyer when we where all in highschool. He came right to the door and demanded his necklace back that he gave her for Christmas or birthday months prior. She did not want to give it back. I always thought he was a complete tool and fuck head to ask for it back, but at the same time, I could not believe my sister actually wanted to keep it knowing HE gave it to her and he was a dick head! She did give it back because it got to the point it would have taken the police to get ride of him. (dick head!)

0|0
    0|0
    • It doesn't remind me of him lol. Its just a fun game. Its funny cause he was trying to get me to keep the shirt... he's so grr

• Cool, if you can disconnect the item from the person who gave it to you, then keep it for sure!!!

Most Helpful Girl

• It would put me off if that makes sense
    Gift is a gift/ once it's given, you don't take it back.

If I were I would give it back either way, just because I don't like the idea of keeping things from ex.

but yeah, it sounds kinda weird of him to ask for it back

1|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 2

• I don't know how any guy can ask gifts back from girlfriends they just broke up with? That would make my heart sink into my stomach. I'm sensitive type guy
    Me and girls broke up but i never ask for anything back from them that sounds
    like the guy needs a lesson on how to treat a girl the right way gee i don't know anymore makes no sense.

1|0
    0|0
    • Do you think its a sign of bad character? Or do you think a really honourable guy could do the same? The convo before that was me trying to fix things, he told me to stop and said goodnight. Then he texted me with "For reals tho" to ask for the game back. Made me feel like he was trying to make it look like my feelings were serious.

• Show All
    • Thanks love <3

• Awe your welcome love <3
      *Blushes*

• It's a very childish thing to do. I've never heard of an adult doing that.

1|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 3

• that is insulting. I'd just ignore him or tell him straight up you're not giving it back. that is rude of him.
    I didn't give back any of the gifts my ex gave me. Bevause they're gifts, so they're now yours

1|0
    0|0
    • Do you think its a sign of bad character? Or do you think a really honourable guy could do the same? The convo before that was me trying to fix things, he told me to stop and said goodnight. Then he texted me with "For reals tho" to ask for the game back. Made me feel like he was trying to make it look like my feelings were serious.

• Show All
    • ohh. That's a little different, but it's still rude of him to ask for the game back if it was a gift.
      was it a gift or was he just letting you borrow it?

• Gift. He said his ps4 was broken and thus said I could have them

• That's rude and i would never ask for a gift back. When ever i give i never expect something back. Also a video game? Really?

1|0
    0|0

• I don't think an honorable guy would do the same.

• Depends on the gift. If it was his dead grandmother's heirloom ring, then yeah give it back. But asking for a game back is kinda petty. Like what is he going to do with it, gift it to his next gf?
    He's lame but just give the game back. It's not a 485726 carat ring, you can get the game for yourself.

0|0
    0|0
    • If it was a family heirloom id definitely return it in a heart beat. I normally return EVERYTHING. He even tried to get me to keep the shirt so i dont get why I couldnt keep the game. Eh probably.

Recommended myTakes