Deployed boyfriend broke up with me suddenly?

Anonymous
My boyfriend and I have been together A year. Our relationship was healthy, we trusted each other, spent most of our free time together and were best friends. He told me he loved me after a few months. I am his first serious girlfriend. We had already done a 3 month training with him in Korea. This is both of our first deployments. He is a ranger in regiment so his deployment would only be A few months. He talked about being excited to finally get to do what he's been training for, but I could also see he was very nervous / scared. He's never been in combat like that or killed anyone.
In the months before he left we become even closer than before. He constantly brought up a future and We had plans to move in together When he returned.
He left a month ago and things were good. We had one minor argument about communication and had resolved it.
About a week later ( a week ago now) he called me and suddenly said he had been thinking and said "I don't think I can give you what you deserve" and "our futures are so uncertain and I just don't know if I see it" I was completely blindsided and I asked him what happened to change this after 2 days! He didn't have an answer. He said "it wouldn't be fair to me to wait" and that he'll always love me and cherish our time together. He seemed unemotional, which I'm sure he is trained to do. But it didn't even sound like him. And it seemed so forced.
I don't know what to do. I haven't heard from him Since. I am barely able to eat or sleep I am so upset. So hurt he could do this to me. But also wondering if he did this to "protect me" from what he think may happen to him over there (Middle East) which I know is very dangerous right now. This whole thing is out of character eveyone j have told us shocked. He isn't very close with many people and I am worried about his mental wellbeing and being over there without my support.
Should I wait to hear from him. (will I?) or should I reach out and let him know I care and am here?
1
1