What do you do after you've been broken up with?

Most people eat their feelings away, but what do you do?

1|1

Most Helpful Girl

• Well, one of the best things to do is to take some time out for yourself to do some things you enjoy, meet with your close friends and talk about what you need to talk about and find an outlet to express what your feeling. That might be journaling, art, music, sport, anything that you connect with that lets you feel like you again. After a breakup you go through a lot of things and you have to allow yourself to process it all, while finding yourself again.

0|0
    0|0
    THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE
    • So what do YOU do?

• Well, I'm mainly telling you to connect with friends and talk to people because I didn't do that when I've broken up and really regretted it. When you're spending a lot of time with your partner you don't see your friends as often, but it's times like these you really need them. I was sad a lot, I found that just writing out what I was thinking and feeling helped a lot. Doing some art work helped a lot, and praying and reading the bible did too (I'm Christian), I found it really encouraging. The time the break up was the worst, was when I did the opposite of the advice I gave you. I was just sad and shut myself away, thinking about them and how to win them back. It was ages before I expressed or dealt with anything and it was not worth it. So yeah, investing in interests, investing in others, investing in yourself.

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 25

What Guys Said 27

• I go into damage control mode first. It may seem paranoid, but it only takes a few psychos to make you treat every breakup as a setup.

I'm naturally irritable, edgy, and impulsive. So when a gal turns toxic out of nowhere, I prepare for the worst. Life becomes a horror movie for a while, even if I pretend like everything is fine.

0|1
    0|0
  • I've gone on a big tear with my buddies, playing cards, chess, drinking is a common theme, eating whatever I want, and then after a few weeks of being a bachelor pig again and living it up, I'll just calm down, go back to being myself again and obviously you'll still miss them but if you force yourself to have a fucking party you'll get by quicker.

0|1
    0|0
  • I tried to kill myself, but honestly, I've been on the wrong meds for years, and I didn't find out until the hospital put me on a new antidepressant... so in the end, it worked out for the better, because I feel better now than I have in my whole life.

I'm even planning to move to Europe in a few years and get a computer related degree, so I can do something useful with my life.

1|0
    0|0
  • It's remarkably refreshing to see both genders having a similar split between moving on too quickly and moping.

For me, it very much depends on how we were when we broke up, but normally I feel intense loss and anguish, frustration and sometimes bitterness. Sometimes it's a case of good riddance to bad rubbish, though.

0|0
    0|0
  • Find something to keep me occupied for ever. Usually after a break up i end up breaking game high scores and buff as hell. I dont party until im ready to move on.

0|0
    0|0
  • I keep to myself for a bit, process the new information then hang out with my friends so I can stop thinking about it. Overall the only thing you can do is give it time.

0|0
    0|0
  • Mope around a week and bitch about it , drink a little, then get back out there feeling fresh the following week and ready to start your next relationship

0|0
    0|0
  • For me I take relationships nowadays very seriously, I will not hook up with and date someone, unless I really feel a connection with them. I used to be so afraid to open myself up for the fear of being hurt or rejected. All this said, I am currently single, but there is someone I see potential with, and I think that now if I were to get serious with someone and it ended up not working I would be really hurt and sad, especially because for me to hook up with anyone nowadays means I really loved them. So yes I would be heartbroken and hurt. I would eventually get over it, but it would take me sometime. I would be doing things to take my mind off the hurt though, like maybe going and hanging you with some male friends. I dont think I would be doing a relationship for a while after breaking up, it would take me some time.

0|0
    0|0
  • Get dressed up and go clubbing and have a good time, hang out with friends more, get it off your mind by talking about it with friends, work out like mad and most importantly happy

0|0
    0|0
  • I wish I knew my wife just told me she needs a break for few days it sux but all u can do is stay active friends etc keep her or him off ur mind because when ur alone it's tough it's all u think of

0|0
    0|0
  • I don't know why G@G suggested this question via a notification, I never been in a relationship to breakup...

0|0
    0|0
  • Used to simply get another one. Got tired of that so now I just have several hobbies besides women.

0|1
    0|0
  • Hang with friends, work on myself and try understand what happened then after much thinking i move on

0|0
    0|0
  • smoke weed. move on. it was a good time. it wasn't bad. love life. keep going. make it positive attitude.

0|0
    0|0
  • Cry it out in private. Then throw yourself into a hobby you've been putting off.

0|0
    0|0
  • You accept that it's their choice, and make your choice to stay with someone who really likes you.

0|0
    0|0
  • I try not to cry too much or be that crushed but I've only been crushed once

0|0
    0|0
  • broken heart syndrome put me in the hospital i been single since

0|0
    0|0
  • Some get over it after a few days and some takes ages. It took me about five years, more or less. There isn't something that will fix your broken heart. It takes time. But you can keep yourself away from destroying your mind and body. Drinking is stupid. It takes your time, money and destroy your soul. It might numb you out for a while but it also freezes time. It doesn't give you time to heal. You can work and exercise like a mad man. After two years of sulking and drinking myself almost to death, I started working hard labor and rode my bicycle for at least 14 miles every day. Find something to keep you busy and active that will exhaust you by the end of the day. That way, you will jump on your bed and won't have any more energy to think of your ex. One day, some one melt the ice around your heart. Be strong and wish you a safe journey to the next chapter of your life.

0|0
    0|0
  • I've never been broken up with. I broke up with my only ex.

0|0
    0|0
  • More from Guys

Recommended myTakes