Why is my ex ignoring me? And how can I get him back?

Louisemac29
My ex and I were together for 2/3 years. Mid summer he started a new job, his priorities changed and we started arguing quite regularly. Were both quite stubborn so our arguments were often quite long and painful. He tried to break up with me but I convinced him to give me a chance to change. It was going well, no arguing no tension. Then out of the blue two weeks later I catch him messaging someone else and rather explain himself he broke up with me saying "we can't make eachother happy any more". This was 10 weeks ago. I know now I should have been more supportive and appreciate him more. I just want a proper chance to make it up to him.

During the breakup I cried, begged and broke down. Then after the first day I completely cut off all contact for a month. But I don't think it had much impact given he didn't try to reach out to me at all either. After that, we have spoken a little here and there, have seen eachother a couple of times to give back eachother's things, but he's been really hot and cold with me. When we see eachother we're there's chemistry, and sometimes he'll start a conversation with me; but then he'll start being short, sometimes taking days to reply, or wanting to close down conversations ASAP.

3 nights ago we eventually met for a drink, we had a long chat and caught up without mentioning the relationship at all. I thought it went well. He had positive body language towards me, when we hugged goodbye he Held on a little longer, and at the end I really thought he might kiss me. But I just wanted to keep things friendly so I walked away.

I messaged him after saying how nice it had been, but he still hasn't said anything back. I also then casually messaged him yesterday about an article I had seen about something we both liked, and he has ignored that too. I dont understand why he would want to meet up with me but after it goes well would not want to talk to me. What do I need to do now? I don't want to miss my chance to get him back
2
1