What does he mean? Should I take it at face value?

Many year relationship, I betrayed him. After 2 months no contact, slowly started speaking on and off.

He was very VERY verbally mean to me over the years and immature hence he understands in a way I guess why I did what I did. He apologized.

He called me drunk one weekend and I was asleep, text me drunk apologizing the next weekend, tells me he still cares but he can't trust me. I asked if I can earn back his trust and his love he said I can, but he still needs time for himself to decide if he even wants to talk like we used to or potentially date like we used to.

face value? Take him at his word that he needs to think? Didn't hear from him on any drunk notes this weekend so worried he met someone while I'm sitting here waiting like a puppy dog

12