Would a guy dump his girlfriend if she told him that she doesn't want to get married?

I decided that I don't want to get married because I have some commitment issues and if I do I'll feel like I'm going to be tied to someone but I lm okay with having a boyfriend. If I were to tell him would he dump me?

0|4

Most Helpful Guy

• girls or guys with commitment issues are not girlfriend or boyfriend material to begin with, and shouldn't be dating in the first place. so as with any age i would dump you, and walk away in less than a millisecond.

7|2
    0|2
    THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE

Most Helpful Girl

• If marriage is his ultimate goal, yes he would. Because look at it this way, all 'love' put aside. What do you really want? If you have commitment issues you would not be dating in the first place. He wants to get married and have a family; done right, not this modern crap today. If that is his views, terms and needs for the relationship and your not meeting it then he has to find somebody else. He can love you, but he can't be with you because you two are not compatible. It's good your thinking about this now because so many still don't get it even when they had more than enough time, then complain later about why things aren't jumping off for them in their lives due to them wasting time. Then it will be too late when they can't have kids, won't get married, or nobody wants to date or just mainly marry them because of the baggage they got. If you don't want marriage, then you tell them from the get-go BEFORE becoming official being boyfriend and girlfriend. Because not everybody will share your views and needs far more than just a girlfriend he can easily replace if he is not happy or bored being with you. So think about it, but don't focus on that when you have to focus on school.

0|0
    0|0
    THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 91

• You're 16. Marriage shouldn't even be on your radar at the moment. Now, I know I'm gonna get yelled at for that comment. Yeah, it's true if they *both* want it, it's fine. I'm cool with that. But it's got to be mutual. If either party doesn't want it, it's off. Simple as that. No one should be hurt of offended someone who's 16 doesn't want to settle down. It's not the 1600's.

5|0
    0|0
    • Exactly... Everyone is moving so fast now and i see them getting married or having children by the time they're my age.. it's insane. I know if they both want in it in the us in certian states they can get married... but why? they're still going through puberty lol.

• Show All
    • I have nothing against marriage myself one day i do plan to be married but my boyfriend understands that we're not ready yet even though we've dated a number of years.. it comes with time.. i just dont see what's up with my age group and rushing it.

• @Ash32511 At the end of the day, no matter how much technology we have or how many cool toys we own, we're still biological creatures. You don't change a hundred million years of evolution by inventing the Internet. Since the Internet brings the idea of the "instant response", people have begun to apply that to their life. Everything should be an instant response now. Not enough people remember or care what life was like before then; I used to have to call my friends on the phone (not cell phone, actual home phone), and if they didn't answer, I could wait or do something else. Now, everyone wants to know exactly where you are every second of the day. Maybe I don't want you to know I'm at a park? Maybe I want to be alone, and I'll get back to you when I'm ready to? The Internet has taken that away. Trust me, I love technology - I teach it - but it has its good and bad points.

• It's not about the dumping it's about the goals of a person. Why do people cheat when one of them is impatient as they can't produce children? Why would a women go to someone else for emotional love when she doesn't get it from her husband?

The goals of the individual have to be met or it could cause some complications

0|0
    0|0
  • As many others have said you're only 16 so it's probably not as important now, but later on if you meet a guy who wants to find "the one", the woman he's going to settle down with and maybe start a family, that will be a deal breaker. No man or woman who wants that is gonna commit to somebody with commitment issues.

0|0
    0|0
  • He might if it's what he eventually really wants from a relationship. Some guys also don't want to get married though. Depends how much he cares for you also and how important that is to him.

3|1
    0|0
  • commitment issues? Not marrying okay. Thats a personal thing. Depends on the person. Though if you have trouble with commitment, why being in a relationship? If you really love someone you should let down your guards and give him your trust and open your heart.

1|0
    0|0
  • I would not break up with someone for not wanting to get married, but I would break up with someone who "has commitment issues" because they are clearly unreliable and don't take their relation with me seriously

1|1
    0|0
  • You need to fix your commitment issues. But take your time, you're still young. Life is still full of changes. But to answer the question, not sure if any guy would dump you for that but I sure would. I want marriage some day

0|0
    0|0
  • Yup without hesitation because getting married and having is pretty much the reason I court to begin with if a girl doesn't want either of those things then I am not going to be with her.

2|1
    0|0
  • It depends. If she was my girlfriend for more than one year and she told me she didn't want to her married, I would dump her, but if she didn't know me so deeply to decide it, I would give her the chance of reconsidering it. I would feel really upset if a girl rejected to be my wife after knowing me deeply.

0|0
    1|0
  • what's the point of dating if you're not getting married? love eventually turns into commitment and that commitment is shown to the world as marriage.

4|1
    0|1
    • besides, you're 16, you should be studying and Making yourself a better person rather than worrying about idiotic fantasies. you'll have all the time in the world in university to date and have fun

• Hahah idiotic fantasies I agree

• You just say it right away when you start dating a guy so you weed out those who put importance on it.

That being said - you should work on your commitment issues either way.

2|0
    0|1
  • I actually prefer not married because all of the pre-marital contracts you sign in case a divorce happens in some countries, and the other divorce bullshit in case there is no contract, but if she said no children I'd break up the very same moment...

0|0
    0|0
  • You are too young to be in a relationship or have a boyfriend or even decide if you want to get married one day or not LOL

4|0
    0|1
    • lol best thing I have ever read. I'm only 21 and still not thinking about that stuff.

• Show All
    • @Fashionistax03 haahhaa what we both need is someone who is just like us. Who we will get along with!! And that's hard to find :-)

• Haha I actually like being alone. One day I'll be with someone but I feel like I'm in my prime everyone should be alone in there early 20s. All my friends have boyfriends besides me I have so much more fun than them.

• Probably not at your age, but in someone's 20s if that we're important then yes most likely thats a deal breaker

0|0
    0|0
  • Depends on if he wants to get married. Since you're 16 it doesn't really matter right now. I hate to break it to you, but you probably won't be together in a few years anyway.

2|0
    0|0
  • Dump her?

I don't think a guy would ever let a girl like that go lol

0|1
    3|0
  • yes but you're 16. shouldn't consider it until after 25.

marriage isn't a joke or something to rush

1|2
    0|0
  • It depends. Does he want to get married? If he does there's a chance he will. If he doesn't I don't think it would matter.

0|1
    0|0
  • You're 16 so it's not really an issue. If you were older it depends on if you still want to have a boyfriend for life, or can't see yourself staying with one guy for more than x years.

0|0
    0|0
  • Wouldn't it be better to try and work through your commitment issues via counselling sessions? I mean surely commitment issues affects your relationship in general and not just confined to marriage

0|0
    0|0
  • More from Guys

What Girls Said 38

• At your age, probably not. The majority of people either aren't serious about their relationships at that age or don't know enough about what they what in the future or don't know how to stand up for their deal breakers. Then again, he might be one of those people who is. It's really important to talk about these things though. It's bad for the relationship to just ignore it or hide it because you are afraid of having a difficult discussion.

0|1
    0|0
  • I feel the same way about you. a lot of men just talk about getting married but when the times comes they feel the exact same way as you. Commitment issues is something that everyone suffers from at some point in their lives, but they still take that chance hoping for the best. I think its something that you should talk to him about. But be warned, he may see it as an excuse of you wanting to see other people. So this will worry him and make him think twice about the relationship.

0|0
    0|0
  • If marriage is important to him then perhaps. And that's ok, because we need people with the same desires and goals in life.
    If he has no desire to get married then you're on the same page.

That aside you're still very young, and marriage/commitment is a lot different as an adult than it is in your teens

0|0
    0|0
  • Depends on the guy, my boyfriend and I are not going to get married. We are just going to be in a long term relationship. My parents has been together since high school had 3 kids total and they were never married. My boyfriend aunt isn't married either and she has been with her S/O for a long time and they have kids as well.
    Every guy is different, some guys wants to get married and some guys doesn't.

0|1
    0|0
  • My boyfriend is okay with not getting married. I don't want to. What's the point of getting married when we are already happy being together the way that we are. It's just a piece of paper. If I wanted to change my last name, all I have to do is go to the court house... Marriage is overrated.

0|1
    0|0
  • I don't think it's the fact that you don't wanna get married that would make guys who are serious doubt your potential for a proper relationship but the commitment issue part... What's the point of being with someone if you already know it's not going to last?

0|0
    0|0
  • Most high school guys have commitment issues too, so you might actually bond over it :P

Seriously though, you're probably going to change from now until whenever you feel ready to get married that the 2 of you won't be suited for each each other anymore. Don't stress yourself out over it. You'll be fine.

0|0
    0|0
  • Well hun you're still young, (so am I lmao) And I feel the same way rn, but I feel like If we were to meet the right person at the right time? We would consider it, so dont write marriage off right away, and dont tell ur boyfriend unless he ASKS to marry you lml

0|0
    0|0
  • Date a guy who doesn't want to get married either. A guy friend told me 9 years ago that 80% of men do not want to get married and they only marry cause they feel like they have no other option or the girl traps them by getting pregnant.

0|1
    0|0
  • I think it would be horrible if the guy dumps you just because you don't want to get married.

Marriage does not prove your love to someone. Not wanting to be married does not mean you have commitment issues, you're just not following the crowd and that's OKAY.

If he doesn't want to be with you after this, then he wasn't the right person for you. The right person would understand.

0|0
    0|0
  • why would you get in a relationship if you have commitment issues? sounds like a disaster waiting to happen. why not just stay single or "date" until you were ready for an official relationship. sounds very scatterbrained, not the fact that you don't wanna get married but the contradiction.

0|0
    0|0
  • For me, marriage is something I want because I've been raised to value it... but I don't believe in divorce either. I'm going to think about this actually but I just think a lot of guys now feel marriage is a trap... I need to seriously think about it.

0|0
    0|0
  • Girl you are 16 years old! nobody is gonna be thinking about that yet. When you get your mid 20s and start dating seriously then you can worry about that kind of stuff

2|0
    0|0
  • You're 16. I think you should be worried if you ARE thinking about marriage. And I'm pretty sure any guy you date will not be thinking about it either. It wouldn't be breaking news, I just wouldn't bring it up at all.

0|0
    0|0
  • Everyone is different. It's your choice for the future but my advice to you is don't put "limits" on your life of "I don't want to get married" life changes , views on your life will change , give yourself some air and just don't think so hard unless it's something he's brought up that he DEFINITELY wants , then don't marry out of fear , hope this helpsn

0|0
    0|0
  • Nope. I dated a dude for 10 years and we never got married.

0|2
    0|0
  • Dude your so young chances are you'll change your mind you don't know what you want you change so much from the time your in your teens to your twenties.

0|0
    0|0
  • Well you just make it clear, don't string a guy along knowing he wants marriage one day.
    But a long term relationship is really no less commitment than marriage, and if your reason for not wanting to be married is commitment issues, are you really able to be 100% in a relationship? I mean if 10 years into a relationship you're thinking "I can still get out", it's hardly fair to them. Perhaps you should stay single until you work on yourself.

But, I make sure guys I'm dating are interested in marriage one day because I am, and no point me being with them if we want different things.

If your guy wants marriage one day, then yeah he may break up with you and that's entirely fair, don't give him the impression you'll change your mind one day if you know you won't.

0|0
    0|0
  • You're only 16, dear
    It's too early to think about marriage. In regards of the relationship, just see if you two can make it last. But more importantly, focus on your studies

0|0
    1|1
  • That depends on him and whether he wants to get married or not.

0|1
    0|0
  • More from Girls

Recommended myTakes