Am I allowed to rap along to a song that says 'n****', or do I have to blank it out, if I'm white?

I never really know where I stand in this situation, because on one hand it's just lyrics and blanking it out kinda disrupts the flow a little, but on the other hand there are obviously seriously negative connotations associated. Also it is just like a curse word at the end of the day- similar to Bitch (even though much worse), so I don't think it should be bad for me to pronounce it when I'm rapping along, but then I don't want to be disrespectful. Bottom line is, I'm wondering whether it's okay or not?

Also whilst on this topic- really sorry if this comes off appallingly racist but I'm pretty ignorant (Russians don't have white guilt ahah) - why are black people allowed to call each other n**** but when a white person says it, its really racist and bad? Surely if it's that terrible then black people wouldn't call each other that?

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• first of all, you have your right to free speech, you can say whatever you want, so yes you are allowed to do that.

secondly, if you're a white girl around black guys, yup. if you're around black girls you'll probably get yo ass beat.

0|0
    2|0
    • Hahah not so sure about the freedom of speech part! But the general consensus is that it depends on the person I think!:) thank you tho!:)

Most Helpful Girl

• I can understand that you wanting to say the N word because it flows in a lot of songs. Im black and its something that a lot of us use in everyday conversation honestly but we will not say it in the presence of a white person. If your raping in the comfort of your home, and noone is around... then yes. But when your around blacks... no. Its something that will definitely will offend us coming from a white person.

1|1
    1|0
    • But if it's in a song why will it offend? But okay I will definitely remember that thank you!

• I feel like you shouldn't condone her raping in the comfort of her own home 😳

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 8

• I'm black

look say what you want b. only get mad when its a racist intention. anything else. say what you want

1|0
    1|0
  • If you don't make a big deal out of it I don't think anyone will care

1|0
    0|0
    • Okay makes sense, but I get the feeling that is really depends on the person!:)

• It's just a word, I don't understand why it's much of a big deal. N****r should be the problem

1|0
    1|0
    • That's kinda my logic, but I'm white so I can't really determine what's racist and what's not so

• People get too butthurt about it, I'd be safe and just leave it out

• Okay that makes sense! Thank you:)

• Tbh nigga really isn't even a insult anymore every one says it but for course it depends in what contents you use it.

0|0
    0|0
  • I really don't know tbh. I do know that I have a predatory instinct to date Russian girls 😍😍😍

0|0
    0|0
  • Life is like that

~ brownie

1|0
    0|0
    • Okay fair enough, but am I allowed to say the word when it's in a rap song?

• If that is not in public, go ahead, otherwise avoid situations.

• Only 1 way to find out, I suppose...

1|0
    0|0
  • Things are a lot different in America okay lol.

1|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 7

• If your singing along to a song that is fine.
    To answer your other question it's because during the racist days white people called black people the N word as a racist term, I don't like the word period, I don't care if that person was black, I just don't like hearing that word.

0|0
    1|0
  • Girl , everyone who keeps telling you to say it , just don't say it. My mother is white and my farther is a black man, if I would ever hear my mother say the N word all hell would break lose and that's my mother. It's a big deal to people of colour. Also saying "black people" isn't the right term. It's offensive, I don't even like when my own kind says it , they are trying to make a hurtful term something positive but theirs still a lot of history behind it.

0|0
    0|1
    • How is 'black people' offensive? It's just referring to skin colour? It's just a descriptive term is it not? Like saying 'black hair' or 'blue eyes'? But if that's the way it is then who am I to think I'm above the order, so fair enough:) but I wasn't planning on ever using it in conversations, it's more for the rapping

• It's offensive no persons colour is "black" black is not a colour it's the absence of light, people of colour is a better term. Just trying to educate you. I don't think you should say it period once you get comfortable using the word one day it might just slip out to the wrong person

• Don't say it infront of people because you'll look Ignorant. In your car go tf ahead no one is watching

1|0
    0|0
    • Fair enough, thank you!!:)

• If Eminem hasn't said it, then you don't get to say it. In public, at least. What you do in your car or in your living room is your business.

0|0
    0|0
    • But hasn't Eminem released a song that is called 'N*gga'? But that's fair enough anyways

• i think it is ok

0|0
    0|0
  • Well back in the day racist people would call black people the n word as a derogatory word. As time went on I guess black people took something that was made to make them feel less than and kinda turn it around. So in the songs when black people say it it doesn't come from the same place it did when racist people would say it. In my opinion if a white person said it in a song as a black person I wouldn't care, but you have to understand that you can't just throw it around whenever you want because racism still exists and most black people will take ofense I hope thus helped xx

1|0
    0|0
    • Thank you so much!! This really helped! Especially with the 'different sources' explanation! Really, it cleared things up!

• Np happy to help!😊

• Hahaha ur like the cutest white girl I've ever seen lol. I say don't do in front of black people but other than that why not lol. My fiancΓ©s black but really open minded and doesn't care if white people say the n word. Everyones different.

1|0
    1|0
    • I just really don't wanna be mean because the whole discrimination thing is awful, I don't wanna keep fuelling it😬 but I guess that makes sense! Thank you!

Recommended myTakes