Why do people break up?

I'm curious as to why there are break ups in relationships. I've never been in one, but I can't help but wonder why a couple would break up after a certain period of time. Things didn't turn out as expected? Their partners do things that the other doesn't like?

It's just that I see them happy and it's hard for me to imagine why they would break up.

152

Most Helpful Girl

• There are numerous reasons why couples break up. The bad ones of course, being when one of them was cheating or just an asshole in general. I think the gist of it is that people just change. Feelings change the more you grow together. That's what happened with my ex from high school. He & I dated for 6 years & I was certain I would marry him. Then I fell in love with someone else! Wasn't expecting too & I was completely confused. I had no idea you could fall out of love & in love with another person. I was always the "one & only soulmate" type girl when I was younger. But I grew up, changed & now I know.

• Thanks for sharing your story. It really helps me understand the situation I was in because there was this girl who fell in love with me but she had a boyfriend. I could "sense" her love for me, but she never revealed it because the situation was entirely unfavorable for such a development. She left a while back but I don't think it's the last time I'll see her.

• It can be an uncomfortable situation, but that's life! You can either let those uncomfortable situations dictate your life or you can roll with the punches & just try to be a better person than yesterday.