How can I care for someone's broken heart?

A friend of mine has been engaged since early fall. She was madly in love with her fiance, but a few days ago, he broke up with her. When she told me, I could see in her face that she was crushed. It breaks my heart to see her this way. I see that they still hangout as friends, but I know from experience what that is doing to her emotionally. The ex has no clue what he's just done and is still doing. We both live in a foreign city with few friends. She has fewer friends here than me. Her ex was a huge part of her life and looks like he still will be. My worst fear is that she will just leave it all behind and move back to her home country. I want so much to be able to help her.

What makes this a bit awkward is that when she told me that they broke up, the feelings I have for her, that I thought I buried and suppressed, burst to the top. I feel like a terrible person for those feelings because now a part of me is saying that I'm just being selfish, but I still want to help. I admitted this much to an older mentor of mine and he told me to just be her friend and let any relationship grow naturally. I wholeheartedly agree, but I need specifics. How can I help mend her broken heart without seeming like I'm trying to take the place of her ex?

11