Stay friends with an ex or cut ties completely?

Recently my boyfriend and I of a year and six months decided to break up. Long story short we ended up getting into a fight about me venting to a mutual friend about how my boyfriend was accusing me of cheating when I was getting gut feelings that he was the one doing it and anyway that mutual friend ended up saving the conversation and showing my boyfriend so we got into a fight and he didn't talk to me for three days and on the third day I get a message from his ex girlfriend best friends soon to be ex husband saying that my boyfriend had sex with his ex. So I talked to her and she told me that she didn't know that we were still together and that he told her that he was single. Then I talked to
my boyfriend and we decided to break up because he is a bad person for me now but he still wanted us to be friends but now I have a feeling that I made a mistake with that. And he is also in the military so I don't know if he did sleep with anyone else when we were together. Now I just don't know what to do because he is making it seem like he wants me to give him a second chance which I'm not sure about.

Recently my ex texted me and told me his mom died of a heart attack and I ended up messaging his ex girlfriend who he was childhood friends with with and the girl he cheated on me with and I told her about it and she said that he would have said something to her about it I feel like I should message his mom or his brother on facebook and see if it's true but everyone is telling me to leave it all. I hate it when people lie to me I just want the truth and no one will tell me the truth.

21