Is he just playing me, or does he really need space?

So I met my boyfriend in February and we moved in together by the April. I moved quite far from my home so it was hard at times but I tried hard to not show it. We decided to take a break in December but he continued to contact me. I've been to see him a few times and we have on both occasions ended up in bed together. He still wants a break but perhaps see each other for dates etc.
I feel we rushed it and need to start again. I have mentioned all this to him but he not much of a talker in person so it's hard work. Please help its effecting my health.

11