In your opinion, can two people who've been in a relationship go back to being on good terms/friends?

My poll question was just generalizing it, but in my case we were friends for 2 years, were in a 6-month relationship, and just recently have broken up (I ended it). Right after the breakup we were on good terms for the next 3 weeks, keeping contact/joking etc. but then it all changed. His last text ended with "goodbye for now", but since then we've texted each other on Christmas and New Year's. So I'm really hoping that eventually, once some time passes we'll be able to go back to the friends we were before we dated, or at least be on good terms with each other. Is that naive of me to hope for?

• Yes
  • No
  • It depends on the circumstances (please leave a comment)
    Vote C
Select a gender to cast your vote:

47

Most Helpful Guy

• It's happened to me, so it may happen to you.

Most Helpful Girl

• Hmm personally I don't know it depends on when, like a high school relationship then yes but the older you get the more you realize you don't need to be on good terms with anyone, can be civil but you don't need to have certain people in your life just because youve known them for a while and feel like you need to. So again no- personally for me I can't go back being friends with someone that I was emotionally and physically connected to on a deep level.

What Guys Said 6

• I've see it happen more than once.

• No, if you are both stable adults, you should be able to maintain a friendship. You probably could not be really close friends, that would be too cloying and unnerving but certainly you can be there for each other when you have problems.

I've done this a couple of times. In spite of major fights shortly after we split.

• Do you mind me asking how long it took to get there? Was there a no contact period?

• That would make my life sooo much easier... I've been so worried and stressed thinking of how he's been dealing with all of this knowing that it's even harder on him. I don't even know how long I should wait to text him, or how and what I would even say when I do...

• Just be honest with him. Of course it's a risk, but life isn't risk-free.

• If this is someone who's friendship you value and could see being a lifelong friend, wait it out. A year or two is nothing compared to 50, 60, or 70 years of friendship.

• A year or two of being apart you mean? To allow time to pass and emotions to heal?

• Yeah, a year or two living totally separate lives without the other person in it. Give yourselves time to heal emotionally and to become whole individuals again without the need for each other. That way when you reconnect as just friends, it won't be as easy to slide back into your old ways again.

• I dated with a girl for 1 year and we did so much cool stuff together. Breaking up was harder for her than it was for myself because I was initiating the break up. She didn't really message me or acknowledge my presence when we saw each other for about a year and a half. After that we somehow had a food cooking session together and then we became FWBs.

• It's possible

• Yes absolutely. They can be good friends if they want to be.
    I have a question, do you prefer guys with shaved body over a very hairy man?

What Girls Said 3

• I think as long as you are in love with someone or he is in love with you it can't work. You have to both move on first. With some ex's I could sit right next to them and not feel anything, with others I wouldn't be able to not care, so it depends on how you feel.

• It depends on the circumstances but most time it won't work out.

• it is rare