How long should it take me to get over my ex?

We dated for 6+yrs and broke up on Sept. 17, 2016. Some days, I feel like I'm getting better but today I had another breakdown and cried for a long time.

What breaks my heart is the end of the love that we shared. She just threw it away by cheating on me. In spring 2012, she got sepsis and almost died. We went to the emergency room because her "flu" symptoms weren't getting better but worse. If we waited another day to get it checked out, she may have died. I stayed by my love's side the entire time she was in the ICU. I only went home to shower and bring her personal items & her fav movies from home to make her hospital stay more enjoyable. Thankfully, she recovered, literally dodged a bullet.

Below is a message that she sent to me about that event.
The day she came back home from spending a month in Europe with her "friend" whom she had been emotionally cheating on me with for the prior 1.5 years, she said that she never felt loved by me and that her new guy made her feel so loved. After finding this message again, I know that she lied about that. She did feel loved by me. I went through so much pain while she was in Europe with her "friend." Upon her return, I prepared the same meal I first cooked for her when we started dating, only to find out the day I picked her up that she was leaving me for that guy. I don't know why she had to rub salt into my wounds and something so mean, like, "I never felt loved by you." For the past 4mos, those words echoed and made me feel so bad about our past.

I miss what we had but today I remembered that there was a time when she felt very loved by me. But, it feels like it's taking forever to recover from this breakup.

22

Most Helpful Girl

• That's so messed up.
    I'm sorry you went through all this.
    It's probably going to take a really long time to get over it but you will.. Just know that you deserve better and you will be happily in love one day again but this time she'll end up loving you just as much.

• I just saw your message today. Direct message me if you're still on here and want to talk.

Most Helpful Guy

• she said "I never felt loved by you." so she can justify her cheating and her leaving iam pretty sure deep down she knew that wasn't true but its easier to put all blame on someone else than to take full responsibilities for our actions.
    hang in there mate, 6 years is long time. Give yourself a time it will get better trust me and best of luck.