Breaking up; Getting dumped: Are they the same thing?

Just went through a breakup and I'm hurting like hell :'( We were together 1.5 years.
He ended things cos things weren't right in his life (they actually haven't been for awhile now, i. e. financial problems). He wants to remain friends.

I feel like I got dumped but he doesn't think so. He said he decided to end things not because he hated me, but because circumstances in his life are such that a relationship just doesn't feel right. He told me this was a very hard decision for him to make and that it hurt him too. He says he cares about me and will miss me and everything we've shared.

Thoughts?
Not that either one - breaking up or getting dumped - would make me feel any better, but I'm just going through a lot of emotions right now and so many questions going round and round in my head.

12