Is being friends with an ex possible if it wasn't a horrible break up?

My ex broke up with me almost a year ago. He even said it wasn't a bad break up we don't hate each other and he wants us to be friends in time esp cause we were friends before. We met a month after break up to hang out, it was a bit too soon as I got emotional at the end. We met in October after months of NC initiated by him and it was great catching up and felt like old times and we were at a good place to be friends again. Haven't heard from him since other than birthday wishes in novemeber. I know most people can't be friends with an ex if it was a bad breakup. but ours wasn't and we were only together a few months. Does he not want to be friends? Is it true it's very difficult to be friends with an ex despite how the break up went?

14

Most Helpful Guy

• It's definitely possible if it was a good break up. You could easily be friends if it's not to awkward and conversation is still easy.

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE
    • But it's been almost a year and we've hung out only twice since the break up. I don't know I feel confused. Did I do something wrong during our last meet up? I have a good read on situations and I felt that evening went well we were catching up for almost 4 hours. He seemed to be enjoying himself even at the end he suggested going for a
      Cruise in my new truck. He could of easily said he had to go if he wasn't having a good time. Thoughts?

• It could be that he's dating someone now, but I wouldn't put that at the top of my list. I'd say he's just adjusting to hanging out with you as just friends and is unfamiliar with being friends with an ex. I'll not talk to my friends for months, so I don't think it's anything out of the usual.

• That's true him dating someone is big
      Assumption

Most Helpful Girl

• I think it depends on whether it was a clean mutual breakup or if one of you still has feelings for the other.

if one of you still has feelings, then forget it. it will be one-sided and hurt the other person

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE
    • I miss him as a friend. The breakup wasn't awful but I was hurt but i recovered now which is why I agreed to meet him in the fall.