Stay friends with an ex?

Is it possible to stay friends with an ex even though the break up was pretty bad? I'm in this tough situation. I've been trying to be in good terms because I still care about him and I can't cut him off.

29

Most Helpful Guy

• the only way to move on is to never speak to the person again or look at him on social media.

once you do that, you will be depressed for at least 6 months.

the trick is too keep your mind busy, let your mind be depressed but once you keep yourself busy, your mind will heal.

time heals, for now all you can do is break contact and keep yourself busy.

this is the grieving process and it takes time but there are ways to fix it faster by keeping yourself busy.

Most Helpful Girl

• Yes it is. I mean me and my ex were sort of 'together without labels' for over a year and a half. I mean didn't really end badly. Though did go through a horrible patch where he cheated on his new girlfriend with me (he didn't tell me they were still together as he went away for 3 months) and we stopped speaking for a year... but he still around

What Guys Said 8

• Your telling me. My and my ex go to the same community college so we see each other daily. All my attempt of making it just friends hasn't work though I do think it possible just not if the relationship ended with one side unfinished. So if the break up was one sided I don't think friends after would work

• I guess I could say it was one sided. I guess it's me not really getting that closure. I definitely won't be running into him since he's in the military and he's leaving again soon. I feel like he's okay with being mutual since he hasn't cut me off but every time I hear from him, I get upset over what happened and it's hard to have those friendly conversations the way we used to.

• OK I sent you a message 😀

• no need.. just break it.. it's of no use

• I'm in the exact same situation. She wants to be friends with me but it's too painful for me to see her other guys. I think maintaining distance is good for a couple of months then you can be casual friends.

• I understand how you feel. It's been a little over a year already but I still get upset over what happened. At the same time, it's hard for me to cut him off. I just can't do it.

• Well if both of you are mature enough to keep a friendly relationship, yes you can, but it also depends on what the other part wants

• Well it's been a long time since the break up and he hasn't cut me off either. The only problem is that anytime I hear from him, I get a bit upset considering what happened and it's hard for me to have conversations the way we used to before we got together.

• You should try to be direct with him be like "hey I know what we've been through but I don't want to end being a stranger I want to be your friend" or something, he'll understand.

• noooo bad idea

• never love never feel

• hell no its not ok

• no, it's not. why would you want ot anyway?

• I guess it's because I've known him for too long and I miss having that friendship with him. What makes it harder for me to do it is the fact that he hasn't cut me off either.

• it's just silly. you miss his sex

What Girls Said 1

• Impossible