How can I ask my boyfriend for a 'break' from our relationship?

Okay first I know breaks usually end up as break ups, but I just need some time away and I'll see what it results in. I just don't know how to ask him for it, he knows I've been miserable and I need some time away but I'm not sure how to say it.

714

Most Helpful Guy

• just say i need a break, im not breaking up with you, but i just need some alone time to figure things out

Most Helpful Girl

• You don't take breaks from a relationship, you might as well just call it a quiets

What Guys Said 13

• The reason breaks end up as break-ups is because people, who want a break try to convince themselves it is only temporary and somehow the problems in the relationship will magically fix themselves while they are not together. Don't lie to yourself and stop wasting your time. Carefully list all the reasons you don't want to be with him and tell him it is over. If he asks why - give him the reasons in a civilized manner. If he's aggressive, choose a public place to break-up. If he's a decent and calm guy choose somewhere more quiet.

• ok well he will know as well as the rest of us that just means you wanna dick down with someone else.. so be honest with him and tell him you want to breakup and by doing this your being honest with yourself and not setting up to fuck him up emotionally

• I really don't, that isn't who I am, he just keeps treating me like I'm nothing but I don't want to lose him

• Thing is I'm not usually like this, I've never left someone before, I've only been left and maybe I am unintentionally playing games with him, I don't know really, I just want things to be better..

• Well maybe since you have never directly left someone this is a way of doing it without accepting the fact that its actually what your doing.. Because you seem to understand that its going to end the relationship but at the same time you want it to end but dont want to be seen as the "bad" guy

• Well, tell him exactly that you need a break, give it a time limit. The time limit is for both of you, to keep you from wasting his time, and to keep him from waiting for something that isn't going to happen.

• You need to give yourself a shake and grow up a little. You test him like you would want to be treated , don't string him along just sit him down face to face and tell him what and why.. oh and a break? Don't say that because it's just filled with more uncertainty just and it.

• Tell him the truth

• It needs to be said. Tell him about what you feel and then you ask for a break.

• Have your new boyfriend say it for you.

• just break up with the guy already and spare him the torment i need is a space is a key word for i am bored with you and need to fuck other guys if my girlfriend told me she needs space i'd break up with her

• Just say it, if he knows than that should make it easier :)

• If you need a break, your relationship is already over.

• Why do you need a break... tell him that... especially if you want more dick.

• u can't say if u love him

• can we get rid of this as a featured question, since the user no longer uses the site. i dont need to see something featured, that's not in use

What Girls Said 6

• You just say, you know we haven't been happy in a while. I think it would be good for us to take some time apart to think about what's really important in our lives.

• just talk to him face to face

• I think you should just break up with him. It's like the typical Ross and Rachel "we were on a break" situation. It won't end Well if you aren't honest.

• Just had to do this myself. Sit him down in a place you are both comfortable and be prepared for water works from you and your dig other. It's like a bandaid, just gotta rip it off.

• Just break up with the guy

• i need a break. easy peasy :P