What does being ready for another relationship mean?

When someone says they're ready for another relationship, what does it mean? Does it mean you're ready to love again or does it mean you're ready to get hurt again?

Can I say I'm ready to be in a relationship but I'm not ready to be hurt again?

Thank you in advance for your reply.

12

Most Helpful Guy

• I think saying "I'm not ready for a relationship" when said directly to someone is usually an excuse to not say what you are actually feeling. In other words, you don't want a relationship with that person...if the right person came along, I wouldn't be using that line...

Now to your questions. Does saying you want to be in another relationship mean you are ready to love again or be hurt again? That's a trick question, because it's both. Unless you live in a Disney move, there is no such thing as a totally always loving relationship. There are always ups and downs, it's a choice of whether you are willing to endure any bad times in a relationship in order to enjoy the good. And sometimes the good outweighs the bad, and the bad outweighs the good.

Basically, if you are ready for another relationship, you are ready to not be single. You have advantages and disadvantages in relationships, just like being single.

I for instance AM NOT ready for a relationship, because I like going home, and not having to answer to anyone except for my two awesome dogs. Oh, and I don't have to pay for dates right now. So I got that going for me, haha.

• Oh dear, that is exactly what I do now! I mean, going home and loving no one but my dog. :-)

• Haha, and your dog probably always loves you back, lol. Don't worry, your 24 (so am I) There's plenty of time to be tied up to someone...right now I enjoy living freely! :)

• Good for you. That's what I'm hoping to achieve at the moment. Love is so central to my life (although I probably don't know what it is exactly and have never had it) yet on the other hand the pain is just too unworthwhile. I don't know if it's me being too childish or stupid or unrealistic.

What Guys Said 1

• In some cases when people say it, they mean they're ready to go out there and go on another adventure. That's what some of these relationships can be. Total adventures. Maybe they mean they are ready to take the risk and go out and find their special somebody. It's hard to say.

Sure it could mean they are willing to be loved again. Sure it can mean they're ready to get hurt again. Both in my opinion mean great bravery. Either one can be scary in their own way. Can you say you're ready to be in a relationship not ready to be hurt? Hmm... tough call. I think you can say that. I think though, that it means you're ready to love and feel loved, but are unwilling to take the risks to actually take that first step. If you really mean you're not ready to get hurt, then you're not prepared. I think it also means you're not ready to actually take the first step because to do that you need to take a risk. Does any of that make sense to you?

See I'm of the opinion that any romantic relationship is about risks. The risk of asking somebody out, the risk of accepting invitations, the risk of putting your feelings out there the risk of letting somebody in close, the risk of being vulnerable. All show potential to end in disappointment, and however crushing that may be depends on how well you can handle something like that. Ah but see the thing about risk is, there is usually a reward involved.

In this case yes you can end it badly and end up hurt, but what you stand to gain can be far greater in the end. You ask out, or accept an invitation, then woohoo you have a date. Put your feelings out there, woohoo they might get reciprocated. You let somebody close, they might hug you and make you feel warm inside. Finally when you show a vulnerable side there is always the chance that the person you do this to will realize just how important or special this is and maybe even give you what you were looking for.

Look sometimes you need to take these risks of getting hurt. I think if you say "I'm ready to be in a relationship but I'm not ready to be hurt again" you really just miss the good times, but aren't really ready yet. I think some point you will be though. On that day you'll need to start showing a lot more courage. Simply face your fears and act when you need to.

I think I'll leave now by giving you a link to a philosophical quote by an old Samurai named Musashi. He had a way of thinking on how to act bravely. In his case he was talking about battle and death, I think however you can apply this to simple goals and potential failures. Frankly I think you have it easier. ( link ) I hope my thoughts on all this were helpful. This is all I can think of at the moment. Maybe you and I can talk about it later. Good luck and cheer up. I'm rooting for you.

Sincerely, Toban Frost.

• I'm checking back on a lot of my old answers like I usually do. I wanted to do a follow up to see if what I told you was at all helpful to you. So did my advice help?

What Girls Said 1

• I think being ready means that you've stopped being afraid of getting hurt and are willing to open your heart back up and trust and love again. You're willing to take that risk again in hopes and pursuit to find someone and be with forever. I also think you'll just know when you're ready. You won't have to really question it.

• That is also very tricky. How is it possible for someone to be ready to risk something over and over again even though the risk for getting hurt is almost 100% (according to my previous experiences)?