Have you ever used the 'it's not you it's me' line to someone when breaking up? And was it the complete truth or a little fibbing?

Have you ever used the 'it's not you it's me' line to someone when breaking up? And was it the complete truth or a little fibbing?

1|0

Most Helpful Girl

• *cringe* yes.. unfortunately, not my most honest moments lol it's just so hard to be completely honest when the person is great and you know they'll be really hurt. I'm pretty convincing though so I hope THEY don't know i used that line as an excuse.

0|1
    0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• No. I think the world would be a better world if we were all more honest with each other no matter how brutal that is. I broke up with one ex and when she asked why I just told her that it was her not me that she was not a good prospect for marraige or kids as she runs up huge debts, doesn't attend church, has no savings, drinks and parties too much, lives with her parents, can't cook, won't clean, doesn't know how to do laundry, is half assing college, can't sew, can't knit, is lazy, needs help with basic tasks and doesn't want kids until 35 to concentrate on a career. That we had fun and good times but it can't work out and if she wants a great guy like me then she'd have to shape up and get her. Of course she was offended and hurt and her feminist friends were in a blind rage about it and soon told me so lol but I met her a few months ago with her husband and kid telling that she eventually got her shit together after dropping out of college. Now she cooks, cleans, bakes, knits, sews the lot and of course I'm happy for her.

0|1
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 26

• Yes, but I was being completely honest. He was a great guy, with an adorable smile, mad ambition, and always made me feel like a million bucks. I just knew deep down he wasn't my forever person, plain and simple. Our relationship lasted nearly two years, he had been in my circle of friends since 7th grade, we were "totally perfect" for each other, we never fought, it was for sure super hard to break it off. We both cried.

0|1
    0|0
    • I don't understand why you dumped him? You weren't attracted to him?

• Lol wtf. U sound unstable.

• Omg! This sounds exactly like my breakup! She broke up with me simply because she didn't feel like things were right (we had an honest discussion about things) we never fought, never argued and always loved each other. Sometimes you just realize the other person isn't the one and end it. Fortunately we are both still friends.

• I used to be just like that cat and let them know it was them, that I'd rather be alone with my sanity somewhat intact without their disruption. They can never handle the truth or leave me alone for long. So then I got wise and pretended there was someone else. That's the only way you can get them to accept you don't want them is for them to think they've been replaced rather than to accept you'd rather die old and alone than be in their company one more second.

0|1
    0|0
  • Yes i did... i made them think they wre perfect... the onne that was at fault was me

0|1
    0|0
  • yes its something that makes everything weird when it come to that. But when u don't know how to tell that person that its over then u really did to work in that part. But it can help at the same time because u are not hurting that person with the truth. I can tell u that I have done it before and I do it because I was scare to hurt that person. Its hard to do when u really need ur space after u seen something that u don't like in that person.

0|1
    0|0
  • Yeah... Ugh when I was in Highschool I was so bad man LOL!

0|2
    0|0
  • i've said something to the effect of "it's not you; really, it's me who wants out of this shite relationship".

1|1
    0|0
  • Yeah, and it does actually happen. Cliches were all true at some point in time for at least one person.

0|1
    0|0
  • No, no need to I just tell me the truth.

It's not me, it's you.

0|1
    0|0
  • Never, that's never been the case. It takes two to tango.

0|1
    0|0
  • Not in the end but in the begging & it was totally truth...

0|1
    0|0
  • Yes. Many times. Sure have and I have meant it and been fibbing.

0|1
    0|0
  • Yeah, it wasn't true he just wouldn't leave me slim

0|1
    0|0
  • It was never me so I didn't say anything like that.

0|1
    0|0
  • I have used it and also had it used on me. lol

0|1
    0|0
  • Yes..

0|2
    0|0
  • Maybe...😂😂

0|1
    0|0
  • years once to them them feel better

0|1
    0|0
  • Yes and it was true

0|1
    0|0
  • I haven't

0|1
    0|0
  • Nope, never.

0|1
    0|0
  • More from Girls

What Guys Said 9

• Yes have used it and it's always true. Why?

--> because it is 'me'... the real reason is a different thing all together but in it's simplest form... it actually is 'me'

0|1
    0|0
  • I used it before, and it was tough but I stuck to the truth and it set me free basically.

0|1
    0|0
  • In a way, kind of. This girl I didn't know for even a week was clingy af. I tried every thing in the book to get her to lay off.

0|1
    0|0
  • I don't think I actually said "it's not you, it's me" but that was the reason for the break up

0|1
    0|0
  • When someone asked me to go somewhere with them
    I was trying to explain to them know bad my anxiety was but I didn't use that choice of words

0|1
    1|0
  • Nope. But I have used distance as an excuse even though there really was a distance.

0|1
    1|0
  • yaaa n it was totally her...

1|1
    0|0
  • yup, i've been there lots of times

0|1
    0|0
  • Yeah and no I was honest

0|1
    0|0

Recommended myTakes