Do you think it is a good idea to fight for a relationship with a drug addict?

We dated in the past.
He is trying to be sober now. He lost everything a month ago. I kinda feel bad for him and I miss him.. sometimes he contacts me and then disappears

18

Most Helpful Guy

• No.
    Addiction is a personal journey, and only the person with the addiction can come to the decision to get better, or to let themselves get worse.
    You can sit beside them, wipe the drool off their face and ask them to stop, maybe give them CPR whwn they OD, but at the end of the day you will just be a sidenote in this chapter of their life - you have no control when it comes to helping them or getting them to clean up.

If you want to waste your time watching them destroy themselves, that's your prerogative, but don't pretend that you're going to be able to help.

Most Helpful Girl

• The addiction wins in the long run. :(

What Guys Said 7

• Only if you're suicidal and masochistic.

• No... n im speaking from first hand experience

I hate to break ur heart, but he wil ALWAYS but his addiction before u. He needs helps before he can have a great relationship. He isn't gonna stop til he wants to. Nothing u can do to stop him

What type of drugs does he take?

• He is clean for a month now. His drug of choice is oxycontin

• Damn. That's basically heroin. Thats a serious problem. No judgement over here, just being honest

• Good luck to him

• I will tell you no based on my experience but you might have to go through what I did before you come to that conclusion for yourself

• Did you date drug addict or you were the addict?

• I went back to him once and then he broke up with me again. Is it normal when they stop answering?

• hard to say what is normal for a drug addict. The drugs always come first, they lie about things but you're never completely sure when and about what. Maybe he is using and wants to be left alone

• Nope

• Depends what drug, how bad it is, their desire to change.

• Oxycontin.
      He is clean for one month after losing everything.

• Hell no.

• no it isn't. They will take you down with them.

What Girls Said 0

The only opinion from girls was selected the Most Helpful Opinion, but you can still contribute by sharing an opinion!