Have you ever stayed friends with an ex?

If so how did that happen?

My boyfriend of 4.5 years and I broke up, we both decided we were better off this way, every now and then he will text me or i'll text him but its mostly to see how each of us is doing. I know we definetly won't get back together but I would like to think we can at least be somewhat civil to eachother. What do you think?

The break up wasn't particularly horrible, we were engaged for 2 years but we called that off a few months before we actually broke up.

225

Most Helpful Guy

Most Helpful Girl

• I'm friends with most of my exes, all except one (because he hates me), frequently talk to one of them (even took trips with him or with him and friends), am on good terms (catch-ups) with the rest. I think you can definitely be friends. The texts may feel a bit awkward at first, but that's okay, you're transitioning from fiance to couple to friends, it'll feel more natural as time goes by. I think the fact that you guys text each other to check up and catch up is a good start.

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE