Is it just a rebound or could it be the real deal?

After 4 years together (the last 2 were long distance) my partner broke up with me because he was unhappy with his life. He said he needed to work on himself.

After less than 2 months apart he told me that he had moved on not only from our relationship but also with a new girlfriend. He told me that his new girlfriend is not a rebound and that he he had fully intended on becoming a hermit after breaking up with me to heal but she just came along out of nowhere. He told me that he thinks she could be the one.

He tells me that he has moved on and that it would not bother him if I were to see someone else but then he also says that he can't be my FB friend because it hurts seeing me pop when I'm tagged in something.

We have ended things positively with the usual 'I'll always care', 'let's be friends'. Stuff but I just don't understand how he can already be over someone he said was his person (me) and had bought an engagement ring for (never got around to proposing because life got in the way - hence the long distance).

What do you think - is this girl a rebound? I know he has treated me like a douche but I love him and I still remember clear as mud the day I met him 10 years ago. Do I have any chance waiting this out? He has never been with anyone else sexually except me and it was always a big deal for him so finding he's already moved on surprises me in that regard also.

1