Would it bother you if your spouse kept a "start over" bank account?

Would it bother you to find out, or to have known since you started dating, that your spouse kept money aside in case your relationship didn't work out?
Its completely their own money, from their own salary.
Would you ever keep money aside for this reason?
I'm not saying it has to be a secret, and you can call it what you want like a rainy day fund etc but that could be used in this scenario separate from your relationship.
I guess because I save into separate accounts for specific things I've worded it this way 😊

2016

Most Helpful Guy

• It's essentially a prenup though, isn't it? Although, it can imply they don't have a whole lot of faith in the relationship. If you're not comfortable with it, just say so. It is a little weird but also smart.

• Not necessarily - a prenup would need to wait for a divorce to settle assets. This is just a cash account with the intent to start over if it's needed... moving expenses, rental bond and furniture etc.
      My husband knows about mine, and I have complete faith in our marriage and have no intent of that changing but if anything ever happened and I needed to get out of our home I'm safe

• I wouldn't be against it, it's smart planning. It's money that you earn so you can do with it what you like. And, who knows, could be a nice bonus to any shared accounts if you feel like you don't need or want it anymore?

Most Helpful Girl

• No it wouldn't bother me, actually I think all relationships that are serious should have a separate bank account for emergencies, like breaking up or getting a divorce. Because if you have to leave at least you will have money to get your own place.

• Example: my sister is leaving her girlfriend and now she has to live with us because she doesn't have any money to live on her own.
      I think having a conjoined account is great, but always keep yours separate.