What is the best way to break up with someone?

• Like pulling off a band aid
    69%(54)66%(82)Vote60%(28)
  • Do it in a public place
    12%(9)15%(19)Vote21%(10)
  • send them a text or email
    19%(15)19%(24)Vote19%(9)
Select a gender to cast your vote:

Most Helpful Girl

• Depending on personality and safety concerns, I would say face to face. First and foremost, be honest about the breakup. Like a few other comments, privately is best;however, if there are safety concerns, public setting may be best. Rip it off like a bandaid. It's gonna hurt like hell so might as well do it quickly. Breakups suck balls!!! But they are necessary especially if the relationship is not working for all participants.

Most Helpful Guy

What Girls Said 15

• Face to face, privately and as sensitively as possible.

• if you've been together longer than 6 months, you owe the other person a face-to-face explanation.

if you're afraid that the other person will get violent and hurt you, end things in public to minimize your risk. if s/he is emotional (and nonviolent), do it in private where s/he can keep his or her dignity.

• Face to face if possible and be honest. No need to be an ass about it unless she gave you a reason to but just keep cordial and real.

• Depends entirely on the situation.

In most cases, the respectful thing to do is break up face to face, including the honest reasons why. The goal should not be to hurt the person, but to help them understand why you feel it's best to move on.

However, if you're leaving an abusive partner, it's best to make a plan together with your friends/family and police or a social worker, and to leave without telling them where you are going.

If it's someone you haven't been dating very long or very seriously, a simple text or phone call is fine. Ghosting is never cool tho, no matter how casual the relationship.

• This^^. Couldn't have given a better answer than this so I won't even try.

• Text the person "hey, lets be like Justin and Selena "

• Yeahh.. i can't do the band aid thing, not when someone is looking at you and you know you are gonna hurt them. I'll tell the truth but likely sugarcoat it. Not saying it's the best, but I can't do it differently. I thing it's douchy to do it over text/phone. Best to do it in person.

• Hate break up texts

• However you do it, don't be this guy. 😂
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rolfwv1djjI

• @IEat70sBush Don't you mean you played it on your phonograph?

• @Nyx_85 lol nah before CD's I used cassette tapes (1985ish, when players didn't cost $500-1000 new anymore like in 1983). Never bothered with records, could't record the radio with them like you could with tapes when you wanted to save a buck and just buy 50-cent blanks instead of $10 prerecorded tapes.

• Just ignore and block contact numbers :)

• I feel like that's the worse thing to do.

• @Benk111 That's one reason why I keep my man cave location secret and go to her place or a hotel instead. Same for work. She offered me a ride once and I told her I needed the exercise when I was walking to it (hope she didn't have me followed).

• Your opinions don't matter to me. Talk to the wall please or the homeless guy in your town.

• If they're good people - you break up with them in a polite and humane manner.
    If they're dicks - you're free to be as mean as you want.

For example, if you break up with someone because you want different lifestyles, you tell them so and wish them happiness. If you break up with someone because they treated you badly, you send them a message to pack up and fuck off.

• Do it with a song.

• Hey hey! I've got something to say
      We had some great times
      You really were one hell of a girl/guy
      But now I need to get away
      Hey hey! Don't be blue.
      It's me... Not yoouuuuu!

• If they've been a jerk and they deserve it, ghost them.

• Immature way to break up with someone.
      Just say it how it is and be done with it.

• Well then you're probably as much as an asshole as they are 🙃
      Be the bigger person. Don't play the same games they play.

• guess that's one way to do it. Avoids drama for yourself while leaving the other wondering wtf happened.

• Told him on the phone to come to the pub, he asked if we were going to break up and I told him come prepared. Got us a couple of beers and on the patio (alone). In my opinion, everything should be done with booze.

• Text. I am married and would still rather get the news that way that way I can deal with it on my own and gather my thoughts before we face to face and talk about.

• No matter what the reaction of the person Your breaking up will be. Be honest! Don't lie on why your breaking up. My ex boyfriend said he needed time on his own when I'm reality he checked out of the relationship a month prior due to meeting someone else. That is so shady. Just be truthful!

What Guys Said 30

• Tactfully, with consideration for their feelings, in such a way as they can learn if they did something wrong, and with absolute no room for misunderstanding. Don't leave them hoping for reconciliation if there's zero chance of it happening.

• 1. Do it face-to-face. People who break up via text messages or phone calls are miserable cowards.
    2. Do it in a private place where both of you feel comfortable. Don't do it in public where the other person has to watch out not to cry and not to appear hurt. This only puts unnecessary pressure on him/her and makes the whole thing even more difficult than it already is.
    3. Be kind and patient about. Explain your reasons and make sure to also listen to your partner and how he/she feels about the whole thing. You might be settled on your decision but it's still important to give your partner a chance to understand you.
    4. Don't be mean or insulting. Depending on the situation, you may feel hurt yourself. Still, keep your dignity. Don't resort to name calling and accusations. Things like cheating can be very humiliating but it's still important not to destroy all the good memories by ending the relationship in a screaming contest. If your partner did something that you consider morally unforgivable, you can still leave him/her as a good example, by acting mature and composed.
    5. Once the issue is settled, don't go back on your decision. If your ex-partner sends you desperate text messages asking to get back together, be polite and reply him/her but be strict too. A break-up is a break-up.
    6. Don't resort to immature things such as revenge cheating or trying to make your ex-partner jealous. If you have a new boyfriend/girlfriend, don't go on Facebook and rub it under your ex's nose just to get some short-lived satisfaction. You wouldn't want people to do this to you, so resist the temptation and don't do it to others.

• My best breakup was a calm lakeside walk to where we first met so we could reflect on the relationship to see where it went south. It was important to us to acknowledge our mistakes, take out our frustrations, share our feelings, and establish our relationship following the breakup to continue being friends rather than growing distant as before becoming a couple, we were friends and good ones. It's important to take into account her emotions as well so that it's a clean breakup so you can support each other in the process of adjusting to life before the relationship.

• I will hit on her sister. If that doesn't work I hit on her mother. If that doesn't work, I hit on her father. If that doesn't work i will shoot myself in the brain

• In this day and age, you need to protect yourself as a man and do it in a public place. You should invite some good friends and have her invite a friend or two so that both have witnesses to the actually breakup. It will eliminate half the he said/she said shit that goes on. Do it amicably if you can.

• Face to face, being perfectly honest why, and in a calm voice of regret. Things like "I'm sorry things couldn't work out between us..." at/near the end. Be blunt if necessary, but no yelling or holding grudges. Just the undeniable facts regarding why you have to break up. Also try to become friends if it's possible.

• Oh, and tell me what it means to do something "like pulling off a band aid"? lol

• Depends on the individual and the relationship. If you're always fighting, then you can sync it up and mid fight say "this isn't working for me. I'm done!".

If you don't fight really and the spark just died, then one on one conversation. Don't make it an event. Just go over one day you have time alone and have the conversation, because there will never be the perfect time.

The only time I'd say breaking up over phone or text is the way to go is if you have serious concern of what they might physically do. Like if they've slashed exes tires before, then mayyybe don't be around for that type of thing.

• In person and NEVER SAY LET'S BE FRIENDS OR AGREE TO IT

• It depends on what's the reason for breakup.
    If you couldn't fully get along really well but had an otherwise decent relationship, doing it in person and in private should be the best thing to do.
    If the other person cheated was the sole reason you broke up then you don't owe them a personal meetup - just text them and be done with it.
    If they cheated then you don't owe them anything at all.

• Don't be a complete Douch and text or email them. You young people do crap like this. If your adult enough to be in a relationship, you can be adult enough to either meet them, or call them and talk things through. take responsibility. Answer questions. Don't leave them hanging.

• I personally like the text version because you can let all of your ideas out at once rather than emotions of the other person get in the way. For example I could say, I think you're a great person, but I have this other person that I feel equally about and that wouldn't be fair to you, to continue your false belief, before they call and start freaking out saying it don't care for them.

• It depends on what she did. If it was something bad like cheating in a closed relationship I prefer humiliation and making her cry in public. If it's something minor like simply getting bored with each other just do it privately and tell her you are bored and want to call it quits. That's better than making up a bunch of bullshit reasons.

• I usually just block them and quit talking to them

• Through text

• Face to face. Polite yet blunt. When you are blunt they learn something about either compatibility or how to be a better person.

• Be open, its better to have a face to face talk, not in a public place.

• Face to face and bluntly

• I'd say a phone call, ultimately there's no good way to break up with someone, unless they also want out of the relationship.

• That's like asking what is the best way to murder someone.

• Face to face in public

• Text. Women love that shit. Lmao...

• Send them an email

• call her to a quiet place and tell her "because Deus Vult"

• Do it with a bang. Fireworks, sunset, throw a party.

• Make the other do it

• By being brutally honest so they know why they were not good enough. I once broke up with a girl after a year because she packed on the beef after we got together so much so that she was a size 14 in stark contrast to the size 8 I first met, she just slobned out. As her "revenge" She lost the weight and kept it off to show me what I was missing but I had moved on and honestly it showed how desperate she was.

• nowadays people like to break up with people with absolutely no notice at all. My last girlfriend of 9 months just decided to block me on FB and ghost me completely. I did nothing over the top to deserve that.

• You must have done something...

• @Poppykate you need to call him out on his behavior THEN ghost him if you want.

With my last ex there was nothing "over the top" that happened. She was too cowardly to tell me straight up she didn't want relationship and decided to disappear on me all together. Ironically there is an older woman/friend that I introduced her to at a party a while ago. She needed her contact info because she wanted to work out together. I told her what happened and she apologized but she fess up that my ex made her promise not to say anything to me.

Anyway just ghosting someone without a legitimate reason (cheating, abuse, etc) or a warning is not acceptable. It leaves me scratching my head thinking there is something wrong with myself. Am I really that repulsive? It's happened more than once.

• I am sorry. No, it not you. I think it's just dating in today's society. It's rude!

• I don't like any of the poll answers.

How about this:

If the person asks you about what you think / want, tell them.

And don't lie to them and then put a post on Facebook about how glad you are it's over, etc. It's very backhanded to do that to someone, especially if you said you were willing to work things out.

(Above: speaking from experience.)

• "Like pulling off a band aid" is not a best way to break up with someone. It isn't even a "way" to break up, it is just a simile... I don't get it.

• Lol, you mad that I exposed you coach?

• Exactly. See? Not all anon are bad 😉