Yea so I am possibly moving to Ft. Lauderdale from NJ in late August early September. Just wanted to know how people like it? I have visited a few times. Is it really somewhere you would want to live or just vacation at?
Most Helpful Guy
I'm originally from Florida. Grew up in the Ft. Lauderdale and Palm Beach areas. Moved up here to PA in 2002. I HATED FL because of a number of reasons:
1. Too hot & humid year-round.
2. Lack of hills means the roads are perfectly straight which makes for a boring driving experience if you're a car or motorcycle enthusiast like myself.
3. Alligators, Brown Recluse Spiders, Cottonmouth Snakes, Black Widow Spiders, Jellyfish, and Barracuda. Plenty of nasties both in and out of the water who can make you crap your pants and turn white with fear and dread. I myself was a magnet for jellyfish in the water.
4. Having to speak three languages (English, Spanish, Creole) to order a Big Mac at your local McDonalds sucks.
5. The girls (at least in the part where I spent my teen years living, Boca Raton, slightly north of Ft. Lauderdale) are all stuck up.
6. It's a transient state. Nobody who lives there is actually from there and nobody who's from there sticks around. No matter who you know it's a fairly safe bet you'll be saying bye to them soon enough because nobody sticks around for very long.
7. EXTREMELY high cost of living
But it has it's positives too.
1. Being able to see girls at the supermarket doing their grocery shopping in nothing but a bikini certainly makes your shopping experience more bearable.
2. Not having to pay local, county, or state taxes is nice.
3. Not having to get your car inspected annually means you can do whatever mods to it you want.
4. Everyone keeps to themselves which means you don't have to worry about gossiping neighbors.
5. Lots of eye candy if you live even remotely near the beach.
6. Straightforward roadway designs means it's virtually impossible to get lost getting where you're trying to get to.
Feel free to convo me for more.1