Is there a chance of getting back together in a long distance breakup?

I've been talking to this guy I met online for 6 months and started to develop real feelings for him. We weren't exclusive because we hadn't met yet, but we talked every day and confessed that we have feelings for each other. We even planned to meet in a couple of weeks. But a week ago, after a minor argument, he ended things with me telling me that we should stop. His reason was that he "couldn't imagine a realistic situation in which we wouldn't hate each other in a year because of our differences and his periods in which he has a lack of communication". He also said that it's especially hard because we're long distance and he thinks it's better to just stop here and that he wants to remember our good times. He says he still cares about me a lot. So what do you think, did he already move on or is there a chance for him to come back to me?
3
3