Why can't I make genuine friends?

I was raised to help others when they need help. That friends are family and that you take care of family. But the only friends I seem to make are ones that will take advantage of my generosity. I only have 3 friends all from childhood.

Most Helpful Guy

• Thats the way it goes... if you are generous, you are taken advantage of, and if you aren't you are shunned or something..
    weird... cuz when other people are selfish.. its totally acceptable... but when its you, its front page news...
    weird how that works.

What Guys Said 7

• i know how you feel, but in the end even we are selfish. Expecting people to be a certain way, because we are that way. We learn the hard way, that being nice isn't good enough sometimes. Otherwise we wouldn't be questioning others or ourselves. People are going to take advantage of that kindness, I guess just be happy with the friends you have now and who you are as a person. I'm pretty sure there will be a lot of people who will be good friends.

• I know how you feel, and it is unfortunate that this happens so regularly. There is no problem being generous, but there comes a point where we have to step up and simply say no. Once we do that, if the other person truly values us in any way, they will understand and keep the friendship intact.

• ill be your friend :), people come and go from your life and those who did that to you were never friends

• true friends will come around. it's just a shame on how people take advantage of others who are kind and generous

• well neither can I , it's a thing that people who are genuine and don't want to fake themselves just because the situation demands it. being a person like that builds character but not friends.

• Friendship is something that comes round, it isn't forced and be grateful that you have more than one

• Sometimes i feel different for not having a friend as an 18 year old who is almost 19 ☺️

What Girls Said 0