Should I take it as a good sign that my ex said happy birthday to me?

We officially stopped talking last month. Extremely low contact since then (initiated by me) I texted him once and it was only because I had to (business related). I've been thinking about reopening the lines of communication. We didn't end too badly, I'd love to see him as my birthday present.

Idk what I should do? help!

Hey everyone thanks for your answers. I contacted him and everything went great. We hung out,ate, & went to the movies. I brought my birthday in with him and I don't regret contacting him for a second. I'm still gonna take everything slow tho. :)

84

Most Helpful Guy

• If you are having a party or going out for dinner with a bunch of people it doesn't hurt to invite him. But if you are going out with only family and really close friends then don't invite him.

If he is the one that walked away from you and he isn't contacting you besides saying happy birthday. Leave him alone. Let him wonder about you. He walked away and put himself first, you should do the same. I say this because nothing gets a guy thinking about a girl like when she disappears. This makes us wonder about them and what they are up to, then the mind wonders(I'm sure we all know this feeling). By calling him and contacting him, you are just confirming to him that you are thinking of him, so he doesn't have to call you. It's your birthday. Make it about you.

What Guys Said 3

• I think it's an "ok" sign. You can't assume that he wants to get back together with you because all he did was a friendly gesture.

but get this: if he didn't wanna talk to you, he wouldn't have bothered to make a simple gesture.

take things slow, but yes do take it as a good sign.

• Then invite him. The worst that could happen is you find out he is not interested anymore. At least you will know.

• Lol, he might have just said Happy Birthday. You have nothing to loose, if you want to start talking to him give it a shot. Just don't over do it, approach him calmly and friendly.

What Girls Said 8

• I just think you should examine why you want to open the lines of communication. Its usually more than just a "hes nice, funny and we have fun together" excuse. Many times its due to some left over feelings. It also depends on how long you dated and if you were even friends before.

I would say be civil because you can, and its always better to be civil exes than enemies, but friendship may not be the best.

• wait did he actually say "Happy Birthday!" or are you only wanting him to? If you are wanting him to... Then I say try to become friends but don't forget to flirt! That always helps if you are trying to start a relationship! If he did say happy birthday, I honestly don't know what to say to that one... Because I had that exact experience. We hadn't talked in the longest time and he calls me on my birthday and says I just wanted to wish you a happy birthday and talk... guys are so confusing... But hope that Helps!

• The exact same thing happened to me, and all I said was "Thank you" and went on with my life. He is just being nice and trying to stay on good terms, maybe to use you as a back up. You shouldn't necessarily be the one to re-open the lines of communication, unless you were the one to break off the relationship.

• He might have just said happy birthday to be nice, but he also could have tried initiating a conversation. He might just want to be on good terms with you, I wouldn't take it as a serious sign, but if you decide to get closer with him and he starts flirting with you, he obviously hasn't lost an interest.

Invite him to your party if you're having one and make light conversation, then go from there if it goes well.

• Curious, why would you want to hang out with a guy that you split up with and you initiated that you stop talking barely a month ago? Do you think you made a mistake and overreacted to him and never should have broken up?

• it doesn't really mean anything he could just be trying to be nice or not being a douche by not saying anything. If he was really cheerful adn told you in person no hard feelings. If he did it online after seeign you the whole day or something than he just did it to not come off as a douchebag...

• I wouldn't take it as a good sign he wants to hang out or get back together. I would take it as him being nice. I personally would not hit him up to see you on your birthday or for your birthday. It could cause him to become concerned you mistook his gesture as more than he meant or was ready for and then he could end up withdrawing from you more than ever.

Instead, see if he starts trying to talk to you more over time and then you guys could consider getting together just because, not for an occasion. Overall though I would look at why you want to hang out with him and be very careful, because hanging with an ex is rarely a good idea. Someone usually still has feelings and it just brings them all rushing back and not in a good way.

• I think this is a very good sign, and it's his way (or excuse) of opening up lines of communication again. If your heart is up to it, see him again, and play it cool, and not overly anxious to see him. Act excited but don't over do it. (I know, easier said thean done) Good luck hun.